Trio of sophomore wide receivers fill starting roles

CW+File

CW File

James Ogletree, Sports Writer

The week of Alabama football’s season opener has arrived, and though there still hasn’t been an announcement regarding a starting quarterback, the Crimson Tide’s starting wide receiver spots have been locked down since the spring by three true sophomores: DeVonta Smith, Jerry Jeudy and Henry Ruggs III.

With Calvin Ridley, who caught more passes last season than the next five leading wide receivers combined, Cam Sims and Robert Foster gone, the passing game now runs through the precocious trio with 34 career catches.

Following a whirlwind eight months since he caught the pass that clinched Alabama’s 17th national championship, Smith is eager for the three to help each other improve as they rise to the challenge.

“I’m just focusing on this season and doing what I can this year,” Smith said. “[The national championship is] in the past. We see one person do something the right way, and we just feed off of that. And anytime we’re doing something wrong, we correct each other.”

Smith has already shown the ability to produce in the clutch, as two of his eight catches from last season were game-winners.

Smith said he is striving to become more mentally tough to push through adverse conditions and situations, while new wide receivers coach Josh Gattis has also been stressing the importance of mastering the fundamentals.

Coach Nick Saban said Jeudy has also been pinpointing a specific area of his mental game: patience and perseverance when he doesn’t get the ball.

“He’s had an outstanding fall camp,” Saban said. “Sometimes you’re open and you think you should get the ball, but it’s being able to understand that you’re creating value for yourself every time you beat the DB. … To build on that and play fast and be consistent is the thing I think he has improved dramatically on.”

As the only five-star high school recruit of the three, Jeudy received the most hype entering his freshman season, with some teammates and media outlets calling him a clone of Ridley. Jeudy also led the trio in catches last season with 14.

He missed a large portion of spring practice while recovering from a meniscus injury, but Jeudy has been full-go throughout fall camp.

“I just like being on the field,” Jeudy said. “It’s not really no challenge. It’s just me out there doing what I love to do, playing wide receiver. I don’t care if it’s outside, inside – I just want to be on the field making plays to help my team win.”

Despite Smith’s big-game bravado and Jeudy’s prodigious talent, Ruggs was the team’s most productive receiver in 2017. The first five catches of his career were touchdowns, and he added another in the national championship.

He has appeared overshadowed in the offseason by Smith, Jeudy and the quarterback conundrum. All three, however, agreed Ruggs is the fastest, and Saban lauded his athleticism, reliable hands and work ethic in the spring.

“Last year was pretty much like a learning experience,” Ruggs said. “And this year it’s more [about] trying to take on a leadership role, trying to help out the freshmen, and just keep developing my game at the same time.”

One of those freshman is Jaylen Waddle, whose speed, quickness and energy have been turning heads since the summer. Redshirt freshman Tyrell Shavers, who towers over teammates at 6 feet 6 inches, is also expected to be a key factor in the passing game.

Seniors Xavian Marks and Derek Kief bring a veteran presence to a receiving corps that skews toward the younger end of the spectrum.

“You don’t try to look at how old guys are,” Ruggs said. “Some people have game experience, some may not. But like I said, we’re all brothers and work together and we have to build off one another to make sure we’re all ready for the game, whether younger guy, older guy, senior, junior, it doesn’t matter.”