Vending machines in Ferg output Coke after hug

Rylie Curry, Contributing Writer

In celebration of a new contract with Coca-Cola, a variety of tents and activities were set up around the Ferguson Student Center to provide free drinks and merchandise to students. Along with tents and a giant inflatable Coca-Cola bottle, students also found new Coke vending machines inside the Ferguson Center.

Unlike typical machines however, the new vending machines give students a free can of Coke in exchange for a hug. With no buttons or the options of a normal vending machine, the new machines simply say “Hug Me,” sparking the curiosity of many students.

Jayson Gilmer, a freshman majoring in business, said he thought the machines provided students with a positive reminder.

“I think the machines are really neat, and it was really nice to see everyone get a free Coke,” Gilmer said. “It’s a good way to spread a message that every reward doesn’t take money, some rewards take kindness.”

Along with the free Coke cans from the vending machines, students were also given other Coca-Cola products, including a variety of drinks and free bags.

Rachel Pitman, a sophomore majoring in metallurgical engineering, said she found the event to be beneficial for both students and Coca-Cola.

“I think this was a good way to advertise their business as well as help out college students by giving them free drinks and merchandise,” Pitman said. “Free drinks, regardless of the brand, are amazing.”

The machines and other new Coca-Cola products on campus are part of a new 10-year contract between the University of Alabama and Coca-Cola, according to AL.com. The contract makes Coca-Cola the exclusive vending provider on campus for $2 million a year.

In addition to making Coca-Cola exclusive, the contract also includes new scholarships, academic programs, investment into dining halls and recycling efforts on campus.

“I think it only makes sense that the University would only serve what I believe to be the best,” said Paola Sommer, a sophomore majoring in piano performance. “I think that Coke established a very positive image at UA by providing the students with free drinks, to the point that even Pepsi patrons would have to admit to the fun atmosphere of the day.”