Bad weather doesn’t dampen Get on Board Day

CW/ Evan Pilat

Rylie Curry, Contributing Writer

Despite the rainy weather, Get on Board Day proved to be a success as hundreds of students were able to speak to a variety of clubs and organizations, helping them to get more involved in activities and find a sense of community on campus.

Get on Board Day is a tabling event for on-campus clubs and organizations, allowing all UA students a chance to see which one fits them best.

Allen Parker, a graduate student majoring in mechanical engineering, is the president of the Outdoor Adventures Club, a club focused on spreading the love and knowledge of the outdoors. Parker said Get on Board Day is beneficial for clubs looking to expand their membership.

“Get on Board Day is the best and easiest way to communicate with this number of people,” Parker said. “It saves the hassle of advertising, and we’re able to reach more people than we would be able to reach in any other way.”

Among the groups at Get on Board Day, students are likely to find a club for almost any interest or activity. When roaming around the Crimson Promenade, students can find a club just for their liking, whether it be sports, religion, academics, service or art.

Get on Board Day also gives newer clubs the opportunity to spread information about their group and gain members.

Erin Anderson, a sophomore majoring in biology, is the treasurer of a new club called Bama Geriatric Organization for Animal Therapy, or Bama G.O.A.T. The organization aims to benefit the elderly of Tuscaloosa through gardening and animal therapy.

“Get on Board Day is really great for newer clubs when you’re trying to get new members,” Anderson said. “We’re trying to find people who are passionate about animals, animal therapy and helping the Tuscaloosa community.”

While Get on Board Day is primarily aimed at freshmen and new students at The University of Alabama, returning students and upperclassmen can benefit from it as well.

Rebekah Spoor, a sophomore majoring in civil engineering, was unable to attend Get on Board Day her freshman year but found it just as beneficial as an upperclassman.

“It’s been immensely helpful just to be able to talk to people about how much they enjoy the clubs they’re a part of and the kinds of opportunities they’ve gotten from them,” Spoor said.

For those who were unable to attend Get on Board Day, students can also participate in Organization Takeover at the Ferguson Student Center on Wednesday, Sept. 6 and Thursday, Sept. 7 from 5-10 p.m.

During Organization Takeover, students can learn more about various clubs and organizations through meet and greets, group meetings and demonstrations. Students in attendance will also receive free food and door prizes.

For more information on Organization Takeover and clubs/organizations at the University of Alabama, visit The Source website at https://thesource.ua.edu/