University offers support to students affected by Hurricane Florence

Rylie Curry, Staff Writer

As the East Coast attempts to recover from the damage and flooding caused by Hurricane Florence, UA students from North and South Carolina are also dealing with the impact of the storm.

In the aftermath of Florence, North and South Carolina are facing power outages, heavy rain and flooding. According to an article by CBS News, at least 37 people have died and 343,000 people are without power in North Carolina.

In light of the hurricane, Jeremy Henderson, director of student care and well-being, sent out an email to all students from North and South Carolina, informing them of the support and resources offered by the University.

“We recognize that it can be very stressful for you to focus on school when family, friends or your homes may be impacted by this dangerous storm,” Henderson said in the email. “As things unfold over the next several days, we want you to know that there are many of us here at UA who want to support you in any way we can.”

Henderson said the department of student care and well-being, Counseling Center and office of the dean of students aim to help all students in any way they can.

“Particularly with something like the hurricane, there might be a distance student in North Carolina and their home is flooded and they’re trying to deal with questions about how to pay their bill, how to get in touch with professors if their internet is out,” Henderson said. “We can try to step in and help with those things and if there is anything we can’t help them with then we try to point them in the right direction.”

Matthew Blanton, a junior majoring in aerospace engineering from South Carolina, said he was grateful for all the University has done for students impacted by the storm.

“I’m thankful that my friends and family back home stayed safe,” Blanton said. “I also feel sad for all the people who lost their homes or loved ones. Being from South Carolina, I think that it’s awesome how UA has done so much to reach out to people who were affected by the storm.”