UADM $100 Day campaign raises over $42,000

Halle Bonner, Contributing Writer

Staff members from The University of Alabama Miracle Network Dance Marathon UADM) went out to the Ferguson Promenade and celebrated $100 Day on Sept. 19, an event that encouraged staff members to individually raise $100 for Children’s of Alabama.

Participants dressed up in crazy outfits and went about different techniques to try and reach UADM’s overall goal of $73,000. The busy day started out at midnight and continued for 24 hours, with different events and activities taking place to reach the goal.

“To raise the money, it takes a lot of outreach online and in the community,” said Eric Ward, president of The University of Alabama Miracle Network.

Snow-cone trucks, inflatables, social media footage and even Spirit Night hosted by Frutta Bowls were all apart of $100 Day. Incentives like hospital tours, t-shirts and sweatshirts were given out to the top fundraisers. Participants were told to raise $100, but Ward said many people want to help surpass that number and work toward the larger goal.

“The $73,000 covers the emergency department and the fees that the hospital has to pay each year,” Ward said.

Members were able to raise a little over $42,000 for Children’s of Alabama. Though UADM did not reach its goal, Ward said the amount they raised was an amazing number because the hospital did not have that amount 24 hours ago.

On $100 Day, UADM posted a photo of Colton, a child from Children’s of Alabama, on its Facebook page to motivate participants to push through the long day of fundraising. Colton was diagnosed with congenital nephrotic syndrome kidney disease when he was only a few weeks old, according to the post. When he was two, he received a kidney transplant from his dad, and it was because of the miracle surgery that he grew into a “bright, smiling, energy-filled 7-year-old that he is today.” The post had the hashtag #WhyWeDanceWednesday to remind people why they do what they do.

“$100 Day is really cool because a lot of our campaigns last a few days or are random fundraising throughout the year, but with $100 Day, it’s kind of like the mindset of that day is 24 hours to raise as much money as we can,” said Cassidy Vuylsteke, UADM fundraising campaign director. “I definitely think it is our largest and most fun campaign we have. Everyone is super involved and excited. I think it shows off the atmosphere that UADM has, which is very fun, open and positive.”

UADM put on an event that not only raised money for Children’s of America, but it also allowed people to get involved on campus.

“The day was very successful,” Vuylsteke said. “I think that a lot of the events we coordinated and the different activities went over really well. We got a lot of exposure on campus with a lot of different people and we raised an insane amount of money. Overall, I think it was a great day.”