Tide Gets a pair of football commitments

Alabama continued building its already strong class of 2013, adding two new commitments just before the weekend. Cornerback Maurice Smith and quarterback Parker McLeod committed to the Crimson Tide, according to Bama Online.

Maurice Smith is listed at 5-foot-11 and 178 pounds and 247 Sports rates him as a four-start prospect and the 15th-best cornerback in the class of 2013.

“I knew this would be one of the biggest decisions in my life, and at 16 it seemed almost too big, and a lot of pressure,” the Sugarland, Texas native told Bama Online. “But someone told me that I would know when it was right. It just felt right, with no pressure, or expectation, it is just right for me. Roll Tide.”

Smith chose Alabama over a host of other schools which included LSU.

McLeod is not as highly-touted as Cooper Bateman, the four-star quarterback who committed to Alabama earlier in May. But McLeod will give Alabama depth at a position that suddenly became a position of need after the transfer of Phillip Sims.

McLeod is a three-star prospect according to 247 Sports. The 6-foot-3, 190-pound Marietta, Ga. native is listed as the 53rd-best quarterback prospect by 247 Sports and chose Alabama after attending the Tide’s recent prospect camp.

“There wasn’t really anything specific- it was just everything about Alabama. I just fell in love with it when I went over there. It was the perfect fit for me all around,” he told Bama Online. “It just feels awesome. It hasn’t sunk in yet, but I’m just so excited. It’s also a big relief off my shoulders to have this process over with. I’m really excited to be committed to Alabama.”

Smith and McLeod give Alabama 16 commitments for the class of 2013, which jumped Michigan for the top spot in 247 Sports’ team recruiting rankings.