Apwonjo hosts benefit concert for Invisible Children

In an effort to raise awareness for the crises in Sub-Saharan Africa, the student organization Apwonjo will host IgNIGHT, a benefit concert for members of the UA community, on Feb. 17.

Apwonjo, meaning “I teach” in the Luo language of Uganda, was founded as a student organization at the University in 2007 as a way to connect campus with the mission of the international organization Invisible Children. Invisible Children raises awareness to humanitarian issues involving the Lord’s Resistance Army of northern Uganda.

Led by the rebel Joseph Kony, the LRA is a radical army that uses military and spiritual power to justify genocide in central Africa. It is currently responsible for Africa’s longest-running armed conflict, using violent means to overthrow governmental bodies.

The unrest has resulted in a civil war within Uganda that has quickly spread to other countries within the Sub-Saharan region of Africa. The rebel group is known for brutal killings and the kidnapping of children for soldiers to promote its radical Christian ideology.

Invisible Children raises money to protect these children and civilians from the atrocities committed by the LRA by offering protection and educational alternatives to the violence. The leaders of Apwonjo envisioned their organization as an opportunity to support and progress the efforts of the Invisible Children on the UA campus.

“Sub-Saharan Africa is a great paradox,” Apwonjo president Maddy Haddock said. “Alongside its incredibly rich culture, it contains some of both the worst and the most ignored cases of genocide and war in modern times. We strive to voice these unspoken issues within campus and the community.”

The organization’s original benefit concert, “Music Uganda Love,” successfully raised $1,200 in 2010, and the event has since become a tradition. The leaders of Apwonjo discovered an increased student involvement with a concert-based fundraiser.

“We all wanted to plan another concert as our big fundraiser this semester because it offers people a unique way to connect to a cause,” Haddock said. “It’s more than arousing sympathy and collecting money. It’s an experience where people who care can come together and party with a positive energy.”

The concert will feature performers Kadesh and the Perfect Strangers and Looksy from 8 p.m. to midnight at Mellow Mushroom. For a $5 cover charge, students can also purchase the specialty shot Fireball at a discounted price, as well as enter in a guitar and gift certificate giveaways. The proceeds will go directly to the Invisible Children international organization.

Although the event will host an upbeat atmosphere, Apwonjo is dedicated to bringing awareness to the strife of central Africa.

“Our focus is on issues pertaining to Sub-Saharan Africa,” said Public Relations Officer Elizabeth Shahid. “We recognize the need to look outside our own borders and unite with our fellow humanity around the world. We hold events on campus here at the University of Alabama and in the larger Tuscaloosa community to raise awareness about issues of social justice and celebrate the cultures and traditions of this region of the world.”

Although the concert will help fund the Invisible Children campaign, Apwonjo is also broadly affiliated with other worldwide organizations such as Freedom in Creation, Save Darfur Coalition, STAND: The Student-Led Division of the Genocide Intervention Network and Kiva.

“Students should join Apwonjo if they are interested in being part of a group of people that values everyone’s opinion, acts on ideas and works to promote good causes,” said Treasurer Valerie Walters. “Although an interest in Sub-Saharan Africa does seem essential, students may become more interested in the area and culture after they become involved.”

The Apwonjo leaders suggest that anyone interested in becoming a part of the student organization should attend one of their weekly meetings every Tuesday at 7:30 p.m. in Lloyd 202 or send an email to [email protected].

If You Go

What: IgNIGHT Benefit Concert featuring Kadesh and the Perfect Strangers and Looksy

Where: Mellow Mushroom Bar

When: Feb. 17 from 8 p.m. to midnight

Cost: $5