Presidential candidates round out final debate before elections

SGA presidential candidates Matthew Brown and James Fowler engaged in one final SGA electoral debate before the elections Monday night at the Bryant Conference Center.

In their opening statements, both candidates thanked the Crimson White and 90.7 The Capstone for hosting the debate.

Fowler began the debate by touting his long experience and accomplishments in the SGA. Fowler said he has served on the First Year Council, has served as an SGA senator and has served as the vice president of external affairs. Because of his achievements in those offices, such as helping to institute Ideas to Action, Fowler said he should be considered for office.

In his own defense, Brown said that although he lacks experience as an SGA officer, he has worked with The Source to foster collaborative discussions with student groups, has volunteered in the Blackburn Institute and has had experience with Creative Campus as a volunteer.

“I have had experience in so many corners of campus, and I have realized the potential of the SGA office,” Brown said. “And I am ready to open it to all areas of the campus.”

Fowler said his vision for the SGA and its relation to the campus is ready to spring into action upon the first day taking office.

“My vision did not take three years to develop,” Fowler said. “On day one, I can step in and know what to do.”

During the debate, both candidates emphasized the importance of the SGA’s responsibility to represent all demographics of the student body.

Brown said he hopes to transcend the perceived differences between the greek and non-greek sectors of the student body.

On the same topic, Fowler said he plans to recruit student leaders from groups who may feel excluded from the SGA.

“There are many divides on campus, and this is a problem,” Fowler said. “I want to recruit leaders from different areas of campus, and I want to go and reach out to all the students.”

Brown said that because his credentials are not limited to a list of SGA offices, he can use his experience to foster collaboration among the SGA and the students it represents because he has worked among and with them for three years.

Fowler, however, said that he has the experience, competency and vision to execute the tasks of SGA president effectively.

Regarding his own platform, Fowler said he wants to institute a Transportation Master Plan, which will expand 348-RIDE, add busses to run routes on campus and build infrastructure for students with bicycles to use. In addition, Fowler said he would guarantee to post all SGA expenditures online so that students can trust that their representatives are acting accountable.

Brown also said one aspect of his platform would include creating a University-wide mentoring program that would match each student with an administrative employee in order to improve every student’s chance for academic success.

Brown said that Fowler promised last year to create an interactive website for the office of external affairs for the benefit of students but failed to do so in office. He said that he can guarantee that his words are not empty promises and that each SGA expenditure will be made visible to students online so that the SGA can be more transparent.

“I am not part of the current system,” Brown said. “I am not part of the status quo, and I am not running for an office. I am running for the student body, and I will work for you everyday.”