Ferg post office delays part of system transition

Pete Pajor

At the beginning of the spring semester, many students experienced delay and confusion concerning the delivery of textbooks and other return-to-school packages. According to Ferguson Center post office representatives, this period of inconvenience was part of a strategy shift that will result in more efficient fulfillment of student postal service needs.

Some people, expecting Paty Package Center delivery, were directed to the Ferg post office. Eventually, a sign posted on the Package Center door sent expecting recipients to the Tuscaloosa branch of the United States Postal Service.

According to Peggy Webster, lead mail clerk at the University post office, all mail and packages delivered through USPS will now be handled solely through the Ferg post office, and the Paty Package Center will only handle deliveries via FedEx and UPS. Moving forward, the switch should cut line length in both offices, as well as remove ambiguity concerning mail location.

“In the future, this new program should eliminate a lot of running around, heartache and confusion,” Webster said.

USPS initiated this transition at the end of the fall semester for full implementation by the start of this semester.

“We held packages through January for all the stuff that was sent over break,” Webster said.

However, most students did not become aware of the changes until they got back for school in late January and the time came to hunt down their packages.

“When there was so much trouble with everyone getting their packages in February, we realized that students had not been informed of the changes, like we thought they were going to be,” said Sharon Drake, supervisor of Customer Service for USPS in Tuscaloosa.

The Ferg post office ended up holding many packages through February to ease the transition and give students time to straighten things out. Webster said the inconvenience of the swap was compounded by University mail’s increase in traffic during February, one of the office’s busiest months.

“Valentine’s Day is our Christmas,” she said. “Most people go home for Christmas, and they get stuff there. If you’re here for Valentine’s Day, your momma is going to send you something.”

In conjunction to the recent changes, USPS is offering a new street addressing service. After signing up for the program in the Ferg post office, box users may use the office’s address, followed by their box number, for all incoming mail.

Nikki Warren-Burton, supervisor for USPS in Tuscaloosa, said in a letter announcing the service that it would allow students “to receive packages that previously may have been delivered by FedEx or UPS” and “may eliminate some of the confusion regarding package delivery … resulting in faster and more efficient mail delivery.”

Webster reminded students that plenty of boxes are still available for rental for the remainder of the semester, and box renewal time for most current renters is quickly approaching. She encouraged students to rent the smallest size available, which costs $29 for six months and allows users to receive all sizes of mail. Parcels too big to physically fit into the small box will be designated by a note placed in the box, and students may pick up the package at the front desk.

“I always tell everyone to rent our smallest box. Do anything that saves money and makes your parents happy,” Webster said. “The more money your parents save, the more stuff they can send to you.”