Dissent: Calderone for SGA president

Matt Calderone is clearly the best candidate to lead our SGA.

The Crimson White editorial board, which historically endorses independent candidates, has endorsed someone who by all indications is the ultimate insider: David Wilson is a University Fellow, a Phi Gamma Delta and he was slated to receive the Machine endorsement. Wilson undeniably has innovative and progressive ideas that could improve life on campus.

Matt Calderone is a soft-spoken, lead-by-example SGA deputy executive vice president whom the Machine endorsed. But Calderone has worked up to his position from the bottom. He arrived at UA without a scholarship and later received a First Generation College Student scholarship. In five semesters, he has achieved more than could reasonably be expected of an SGA representative and City of Tuscaloosa intern. The success of Calderone’s Service Sundays demonstrates his knack for improving student life and positively impacting the community. When the April 27 tornado hit, Calderone worked 22-hour days organizing the distribution of the city’s disaster relief supplies. This has given Calderone a holistic perspective of how to run a government organization.

The problems with unity, transparency and trust that we have within our SGA are problems that Calderone is in a unique position to solve. He has the skills, the experience and the unshakeable will to organize and lead our SGA into new and better territory. Vote for him.