Bands take stage at spring break spots

Bands take stage at spring break spots

While most students who plan to go to the beach this spring break will probably spend most of their time on the sand relaxing, there will also be plenty of time spent having fun after the sun goes down.

Many popular spring break destinations for Alabama students have special music events aimed just for college students looking for entertainment. Should you find yourself in Gulf Shores, there are events at the 21-and-up Cohiba Dunes Cigar Bar showcasing upcoming artists.

Their Hip-Hop Spring Break Jam Tuesday will feature Mod Towne Revival, a band that combines hip-hop and blues with a flair of funk. There will be an $8 cover with doors opening at 8:30 p.m. and the show beginning at 10:30 p.m.

On March 15, New Orleans jam band Gravy will play at Cohiba Dunes with special guest Lee Yankee. Doors will open at 8:30 p.m., and the show will start at 10:30 p.m. with a $15 cover.

If Panama City Beach is your destination of choice, Spinnaker Beach Club and Club La Vela will be offering several music events.

Spinnaker Beach Club will host a two-day concert featuring country artist Luke Bryan. The shows will be Tuesday and Wednesday, starting at 4 p.m. on both days, with free tickets distributed on a first-come, first-serve basis.

Spinnaker Beach Club will also feature a 700-foot-long, 45-foot-high zip line for the adventurous.

If you’re looking for more of a party scene, Club La Vela, the largest nightclub in the United States, will be featuring indie-pop group The Cataracts on Tuesday. The show starts at 7 p.m. with tickets for $20 that can be purchased on their website. Atlanta rapper Yung Chris is also stopping by Club La Vela for a free show on Monday.

About an hour down the road, Destin’s The Swamp will host The Circuit from Sunday until Monday, allowing beach-goers many opportunities to see a performance.

Kontraband will also perform in Destin on Friday and Saturday. If you’re lucky, you may even walk into The Swamp during one of their foam parties.

If you are looking for a mellower atmosphere, Destin is home to the famous restaurant The Red Bar, which attracts many beach-goers with their good food and live music.

In addition to serving food, The Red Bar features musicians playing on certain nights. Wednesday through Saturday you can catch The Red Bar Jazz Band, which plays from 6 to 11 p.m. On Sundays, Dread Clampitt is the featured act, playing from 12 to 3 p.m. and 7 to 11 p.m.