Overcrowding at UA brings quality

It’s no secret that overcrowding exists on our campus. Since 2003, enrollment has increased by over 50 percent and shows no signs of slowing down. Even if overcrowding wasn’t reflected in statistics, it would be obvious to anyone who’s seen the lines at the rec center or campus traffic at midday.

It’s also no secret that many people are upset about this issue. It’s cropped up countless times in student media as well as day-to-day conversation. A common opinion is that the University is growing irresponsibly, and ignoring the needs of its students as it mindlessly expands. This simply is not true.

While the University is increasing student density, it isn’t sacrificing quality. The teacher-student ratio has remained the same in recent years because of class restructuring and additional sections, putting additional responsibilities on professors. The construction of Riverside, Lakeside, Ridgecrest and Bryant residential communities has maintained the availability of on-campus lodging, and construction of the new North Bluff residential community is set to be complete this year. On the other hand, Rose Towers — which is spacious but considered by many to be unseemly — is set to be demolished. This shows that UA isn’t only expanding, it’s systematically improving itself as it goes.

The University has also maintained — and in fact improved — its academic standards as enrollment rises. UA admissions have become substantially more selective, leading to higher performance and a more impressive student body across the board. Additionally, the University has worked hard to recruit out-of-state and exchange students, thereby increasing the diversity of the student body.

The important thing to take from all this is that the University is not taking advantage of its student body through increased enrollment. To the contrary, it’s trying to be a better school.

Greater diversity, higher standards and aggressive expansion all point to a university policy of reform and self-improvement. But in a time of recession — and a time, I might add, when state funding has been reduced for three consecutive years — revenue must precede action. And revenue comes from students. The resources UA reaps from a larger student body are being simultaneously poured back into the University, allowing those same students to reap the benefits.

Is overcrowding still a problem? Yes, but in the grand scheme of things it’s a minor one, and one that the University is in the process of rectifying. Expansions, renovations and other projects will hopefully deal with it soon. And in the meantime, we can enjoy a college experience enriched by the effective distribution of plentiful resources. It seems like a fair trade.

Nathan James is a freshman majoring in public relations. His column runs bi-weekly on Mondays.