Campuses declare smoking bans

College campuses around the country are making an effort to declare their schools smoke-free environments. Currently, there are at least 814 campuses that have completely banned tobacco products, The University of Alabama has yet to enact a campuswide ban.

The University of Florida is one school that has decided to ban smoking entirely. The ban came in 2010 as part of the Tobacco Free Florida program, aiming to protect Florida residents from the hazards of smoking. UF was the first public college in Florida to ban smoking.

Nicole Boyett, a UF senior majoring in finance and sports management, said the officials’ decision to ban smoking was a great idea.

“My grandpa passed away from lung cancer when I was very young, so smoking is a subject I’m passionate about,” Boyett said. “Smoking isn’t good for you, and I think UF wants to make sure every experience on campus is as pleasant as possible.”

UF officials never released a statement on why they banned tobacco products, but Boyett said she believes it was to exert a positive influence on students, faculty and staff.

She also said the reaction among UF students was positive.

“The student body had no problem accepting the ban on smoking,” Boyett said. “I think everyone at UF is able to realize the dangers of smoking and second-hand smoke, and I believe UF is just trying to become a more pleasant place.”

While The University of Alabama does not have a ban on smoking, there are policies in effect limiting where students can smoke.

Due to its health hazards, Cathy Andreen, director of UA Media Relations, said smoking is prohibited inside all buildings on campus.

“In addition, smoking is not allowed within 30 feet of entrances to buildings,” Andreen said.

The University is currently evaluating whether it should become a smoke-free campus. At least five colleges in Alabama have already banned tobacco products, including Auburn University and Troy University.

Andreen said the Faculty Senate, the SGA and the Professional Staff Assembly are in charge of making a decision like that for the University.

While the decision has yet to be made, some students feel the University should prioritize stricter policies for smoking on campus.

“Everyone says, ‘you don’t have to be around smokers,’ but when they congregate outside of the doors, you actually do,” Cody Jones, a senior majoring in political science, said. “It’s a disgusting and unhealthy habit. We should limit it where we can.”

Jones said a total ban on tobacco products would be too extreme but suggested designating areas outside of buildings where students cannot smoke.

However, Zachary Corbett, a senior majoring in management information systems, disagreed and said universities should not ban smoking.

“I suggest [officials] privatize the property if they wanted to control the habits of individuals and the use of property,” Corbett said.

He said students have every right to smoke on their campus since it is public property.

Even though no official ban has been planned, Andreen said there are movements within UA’s campus to curb smoking among students.

The Student Health Center’s Health Promotion and Wellness Department offers workshops and awareness programs to inform students and faculty about the risks associated with smoking.