Letter to the Editor: Pledgeship introduces new students to one another, builds trust in fraternities

With all the negative attention on pledgeship and the entire fraternity system, I think it is time to tell my thoughts and what I know to be the thoughts of the majority of pledges. I feel like something has been taken from me. I feel like I did not finish something I started. That is not just the tough guy in me speaking – that’s the truth.

I am writing this not necessarily to get pledgeship back for this year. I understand that might be a lost cause. I am writing this to get the truth out there. People need to know what the majority of pledges think – not the select few who have gained media attention.

Let’s not forget that pledgeship does serve a purpose. It is not about individuals preying on innocent pledges, causing physical and emotional harm. It is to form a bond between brothers and a bond to the fraternity.

This is not hard when everything is good and easy going, but the real test is when things get difficult. When things get tough, it brings out character. A bond must be formed. It makes things so much easier. Pledges work together to get through it. This is a valuable life lesson and the basis of pledgeship.

There is fear involved with pledgeship, but this fear is what teaches us to stick together. Things get easier when we can count on pledge brothers to always be there and have our backs. Deep down, we know there is nothing to really be scared of. We know everything is done in our best interest. We know every active must appear intimidating, but that they would all defend and stick up for us until the end.

Pledgeship is not easy. Coming into college and having to be on your own is hard. Throw in managing house hours, meetings, chores, parties and swaps, and it becomes impossible to do on your own. Some people can’t handle it.

A few of my close friends had to drop their fraternities, and I respect that. There is nothing wrong with that. I find it hard to believe any report that says fraternities “blackball” or threaten pledges for dropping. It does not happen like that, and any fraternity that does do this should be dealt with immediately. I do not have respect for kids who were too scared to drop but decided to break the trust of their fraternity.

Trust is the key to fraternities. The pledges must trust that everything has a purpose and is in their best interest. The fraternity trusts the pledge with everything by letting them be a part of it. If one does not trust and believe in the fraternity, how can they be a part o it? Why would they want to be a part of it?

And if more than a few pledges don’t trust the fraternity, maybe its time to take a good look at the values of the entire fraternity. I have put 100 percent of my trust into Phi Delta Theta, and I have had the best time of my life during pledgeship.

I just cannot understand ending pledgeship based on rumors and anonymous accusations against one fraternity. There will always be rumors about pledgeship. The actual facts, on the other hand, are few and far between. I believe the facts should be acted on, and individuals and individual fraternities should be punished.

I do not believe any of the accusations that anyone actually experienced physical or emotional harm. Everything I have heard and seen as part of the pledge process tells me these are false.

But I do understand that if any of them are factual, they should be investigated, and action should be taken. My problem is, by ending pledgeship for all fraternities, it has given the entire system a black eye. Every fraternity is penalized for problems that are extremely isolated and exaggerated by the media.

Jackson Poe is a freshman majoring in quantitative economics.