UA students found new charity

Three UA students, inspired by the movie “My Sisiter’s Keeper,” created a non-profit organization to help children in the fight against cancer.

Drew Estes, a freshman majoring in history; Yulexis Argota, a junior majoring in political science; and Micah Lawson, a sophomore majoring in business, created “A Hope for Life,” with the intention of making a difference in pediatric oncology.

“One of the issues that we feel closest to is pediatric cancer, because children are our future and we want to give these children an opportunity to experience life and be able to live out their dreams,” Argota said.

The students established a 501c3 status for the organization by working with Barton Adcox, a tax attorney with Adcox Associates.

The organization’s goal is to raise funds that will directly help families pay for their children’s hospital bills, to oncology centers across the nation, cancer research and helping children defeat cancer, according to Argota.

“We saw how sad the situation was, and we really wanted to help out and make a difference. We wanted to get other college students involved and inspire people on a personal level,” Estes said.

On April 1, the organization collaborated with Cathie Hewitt’s ninth grade bible class at American Christian Academy in Tuscaloosa to create Easter baskets delivered to children at the Children’s Health System Hospital in Birmingham.

“To know that someone’s thinking about them and know you are making a difference in someone’s life means everything,” said April Whinery, one of the participating students.

Argota said they hope to be directly involved with fellow students around campus by holding several fundraisers including: cookouts, sports tournaments, fraternity/ sorority events as well as partnership fundraisers with businesses.

“One of our goals is to work alongside our classmates in inspiring college students to lend a hand to those in need,” Argota said.

They plan on having a tent at all home football games next season on the quad to spread the word about the foundation and their mission to all Alabama fans and students.

“I haven’t really heard very much about this organization, but it sounds like a great cause and I look forward to seeing them on the quad next year,” said Kristin Johnson, a junior majoring in secondary education.

According to Argota, there will be a tent on the quad on A- Day with more information regarding this organization. For more information, visit ahopeforlife.org.