Spanish professor holds literary reading

By Lacey Ezekiel

“Good People” could describe the Capstone, but it is a common expression in to describe the traditional hospitality of the people from the Mexican state of Chihuahua, said Oscar Robles, a UA Spanish professor who oversees the Spanish Club.

For that reason, its Spanish translation is the title of Robles’ short story collection, “Buenas Gentes”.

“Buenas Gentes” is a collection of geological and biographies about fictional villages, people and the events that took place in Northern Mexico.

Inside are the unpublished eight short stories set the in city of Chihuahua, stories about the lives of families, immigrants and their conflicts they struggle with. These are fiction readings that will come out of the short stories.

The Department of Modern Languages and Classics will hold the literary reading, which, will be held today in Room 256 B.B. Comer from 4-5 p.m.

All students who are interested are welcome to come and listen to Robles speak about his encounters in Northern Mexico. Afterwards, the students are encouraged to ask questions and can converse with each other in Spanish.

The literary reading is geared more towards those in the Spanish Club and the Spanish department’s students and faculty, but Robles said he always is happy to have those who are interested and not involved with the department academically.

“Sometimes other students and faculty members from other departments will join in the literary reading and the discussion portion of the meeting,” Robles said.

“This is a formal setting and we have many first, second, and third year students who come to these events.”

Robles said the Spanish Club holds readings for those who want to share their love for the Spanish cultural, cities, their travels.

“At the beginning of each semester I take proposals for those who wish to speak to our students and those in our departments.” Robles said.

Robles has spoken across the states and in many cities in Mexico about his life experiences. He has read many poems to audiences. This literary reading will be his first at the University and probably not his last, he said.

He said he just wants to share with students and faculty his personal stories of the Spanish Cultural.

“I think it is important to share about my experiences,” Robles said “I feel honored to share.”

Robles has also written two chapbooks, which is a pocket-sized booklet. “Sangre de Circe” was a poetry collection and was published in 1989 and “Historias de Familia” are short stories that Dr. Robles has put together and was published 1998.

The Spanish Club is open to all Spanish-speakers at any level and provides many opportunities for fun, language practice and cultural activities, according to the UA Spanish Club Web site.