Block seating crowded, chaotic; drunk fans tend to detract from experience

One of the things that has always been on my bucket list is sitting in the section behind the field goal at a football game. After the game against Mississippi State, I have officially scratched that off my list, while keeping in mind that it is a place I will never return to.

The way the block seating works is each “student organization” applies online and the application is then sent to the Student Government Association. Depending on where the organizations are placed, they could have as many rows as eight or as few as one.

I decided it would be fun to sit with my friends from Alpha Kappa Psi, a professional business fraternity, for the Homecoming game. As time went on, I noticed that when it comes to football games, no student organization is more professional than the next. The only thing I enjoyed most from sitting in that section was the fact that I did not have to enter the stadium two hours early to make sure I had a seat.

Not only was it over-crowded because the fraternities did not know how to stay in their own sections, but I spent more of my time making sure the drunk “brothers” in front of me didn’t fall back, knocking us into the people behind me. Along with the brothers came their sorority dates. If I was not making sure the guy in front of me was stable, I was making sure the girls around me had enough walking space in between the bleachers as they threw their hands around, showing off the alcohol they apparently snuck in.

Aside from the fact that the smell of alcohol attacked my nose each time someone walked by me, I had no room to move whenever that person was pushing against the crowd. More people than I could count said they were in the wrong section and needed to leave, but of course being polite is too much to ask, so I was pushed into the people next to me numerous times and almost off the bleachers three times.

The University needs to have security officers in place in the student sections to protect the students who drink before the games, and to protect the people around them. Post-game, I have a sprained wrist. Why? Perhaps because of the strenuous work I did to prevent myself from falling or someone else from falling. University officials need to keep people in their block, and they need to prevent drunken students from pulling the signs off the walls like one person showed me he did.

Krista James is a freshman majoring in journalism.