SGA Senate seeks technological assistant

With a new director in charge of technology, the SGA wants the senate meetings to be more accessible to students – C-SPAN-style.

SGA spokeswoman Katie Breaseale said the new assistant director is an unpaid position, like every other director position, and will work directly with senators. They are looking for a person who can use technology in a way for students to keep up with the SGA, she said.

The new director will post videos of the weekly senate meetings on the SGA Web site for students to view.

The application includes sections for resume information and essay questions. After submitting a 2010-11 director application, the finalists will be chosen and interviewed in late April. Breaseale said the interview committee will consist of various executive officers.

Executive Vice President Nicole Bohannon said the SGA is not planning to purchase a video camera for the director. She said that having a camera would be a plus for any camera applying, but said there are many organizations around campus that offer cameras and equipment for students to use.

SGA President James Fowler said that adding this new position will help student government.

“It is a goal of our administration to create a 100 percent transparent government that students can trust in,” Fowler said. “Adding positions like the assistant director of communications for the senate is one piece of the puzzle to creating a transparent government.”

Breaseale said the senate is looking for someone who works well with technology and will be able to attend weekly senate meetings.

“Outside of the meeting coverage, this person will also be posting YouTube videos promoting senate goals and progress,” Breaseale said. “It will be someone who can work with the SGA director of communications to help develop creative new ways to better publicize senate business to campus.”

Bohannon said she hopes this new position will help increase student involvement.

“The position of assistant director for communications gives us the opportunity to show students exactly what is happening in senate,” Bohannon said.

Students can apply at the SGA Web site at sga.ua.edu under forms and applications. The deadline for all applications is April 21 by 5 p.m.