New exhibit in Woods Hall to feature manipulated photos

Two University of Alabama students will be showcasing their photography at a one-night exhibit and reception called “Conceit.”

Kristen Tcherneshoff, a junior BFA photography and painting major, is partnering with Eric Klopack, a senior majoring in American studies, for the show.

All of the pieces in the exhibit are silver gelatin prints, which is a process of developing black and white photographs. Instead of keeping the pieces pristine, both artists manipulate and destroy their works to create a different aesthetic.

“Eric and I took a photography class this past summer and we discovered that even though we had slightly different styles, we were both intrigued by the same subject matter, themes and processes for developing and printing the film,” Tcherneshoff said. “We’ve been discussing doing a show ever since then.”

Unlike most art exhibits that take place in a traditional gallery, the Conceit exhibit will be displayed in the basement of Woods Hall.

“It can be difficult to find a place to show your work on campus,” Klopack said. “The basement is a really exciting space and it’s useful for us because it’s not in use right now. Unlike most galleries which attempt to have no character, the basement has its own aesthetic that I think works well with our work.”

Tcherneshoff said that since neither of the artists like to name or frame their artwork, a typical gallery space would not have fit with their exhibit. She said the basement of Woods allows for a more “raw emotional feeling.”

The subject matter of Klopack’s work comes from his frustration with using photography as a medium.

“As in all things, perfection is not really possible,” Klopack said. “Frustration and anxiety accompanies a constantly fruitless attempt to make a perfect print. Destroying or otherwise altering a print is liberating. Kristin and I both manipulate our work, creating intentionally dirty, or torn or scratched work.”

(See also “Woods Quad showcases sculptors’ finest pieces”)

Tcherneshoff works in much the same way. She said she frequently manipulates her silver gelatin prints in a variety of ways so the final product is not perfect.

“Every so often I will further the post-manipulation process by cooking my prints, freezing them, cracking them, burning them, toning them or any other technique I can think of to change the image,” Tcherneshoff said.

Tcherneshoff said her images and prints have become more than just works of art. She considers her prints as fragments of her life.

“Each photograph represents a time, emotion, thought or substance that has evolved into something bigger,” Tcherneshoff said. “These haven’t become just another body of work, they have become my diary.”

She said her main goal in creating art is to cause a reaction from the audience.

“Whether it be good or bad, I don’t mind, but I want them to feel something,” Tcherneshoff said. “Hopefully people are able to understand me more by looking at my work and they can capture a sense of what I feel.”

The Conceit exhibit will be displayed for one night only on Feb. 7 from 6-9 p.m. in the basement of Woods Hall.

UATD show features lighthearted, adult humor

LeaderShape to host information session for interested applicants

Tax credit for student loans survives politics of ‘fiscal cliff’