Leather, lace emerge from Fashion Week

As the nefarious blizzard Nemo descends on the Northeast, New York Fashion Week draws to a close. We’ve already learned about the electric neons, the tribal prints and the black and white graphics, but what else did Fashion Week have to offer?

Leather was a hot trend that graced the runways of Alexander Wang, Proenza Schuler and Derek Lam. Each designer worked the leather in a different way, though, offering a plethora of choices for any style.

Wang displayed futuristic, metallic leather jackets. This bold trend may be harder to find for a reasonable price, but that’s what the Internet is for. Wang’s jackets were also on the larger side, engulfing the models’ thin frames. For an everyday look, you may want to downsize a bit and show off some of the curves you have ­– since most of us aren’t model thin.

Proenza Schuler reworked the traditional biker jacket by adding neon pops of patchwork. By incorporating two trends in one, the design pair was able to create fun jackets than can spice up any outfit. Like Wang’s jackets, Proenza Schuler’s tended to be on the roomier side as well.

Lastly, leather dresses and skirts were a huge trend this season. I’ll be the first to admit I’d be a bit skeptical to rock a full black leather dress like those seen at Derek Lam and Jason Wu, but leather skirts can be a great way to add texture to your wardrobe.

Reed Krakoff offered fitted, tribal print leather skirts, which, astonishingly enough, look fairly easy to wear everyday. Paired with a sheer blouse or thick, chunky sweater, leather skirts give you a way to show off your figure while playing with texture and pattern.

Another trend seen this Fashion Week is one often paired with the aforementioned leather: lace. Designers like Jill Stuart, Vera Wang and BCBG showed dresses that were frilly, sheer and overlain with delicate lace. Think La Perla, but for your whole body.

Lace may generally be considered to be the fabric of a gentile Southern belle or of a lady of questionable morals from the red light district, but more and more it’s becoming a fabric anyone can feel confident in.

Stuart’s dresses were beautifully constructed ­– elbow-length sleeves with a flowing knee-length body. Her lacy constructions would be perfect for a job interview or a classy date night. Because the dress is so much the focus here, slick your hair back in a bun and keep the makeup minimal and classic.

Vera Wang’s lace dresses were much the same: delicate in construction and classic. With kimono-esque necklines, Wang’s creations would be a choice for a night out or an event function. Her color palette was bolder than Stuart’s, consisting of primary blues and emerald greens.

BCBG and runway staple Donna Karan both pushed the limits of racy when it came to lacy this spring. BCBG debuted sheer dresses, save for the strips of opaque fabric covering the models’ private areas.

While this trend may be hard to pull off – especially in conservative Alabama – it’d be fun to at least throw one of these dresses on in a dressing room. And, if you’re bold enough, the long flowing dresses will detract from the fact we can see almost all of you.

These two runway trends are timeless, which means anything you buy in the post 2013 season will last you for years to come.

Tide hungry for 2013 competition after 2012 season end

Crimson Tide falls to Gators

Bama Dining accommodates students with allergies