Student excels academically, professionally

Christine Evans is busy.

The senior majoring in mechanical engineering interned with Africa Exchange, a nonprofit organization in Kenya, Africa. She’s the president of the Tau Beta Pi Engineering Honor Society and participated as a co-op student at the U.S. Army, Aviation, and Missile Research, Development and Engineering Center in Huntsville, Ala.

Even so, she found time to rack up another accolade when she received the Algernon Sydney Sullivan Award, one of the University’s Premier Awards that, according to a UA website about the program, focuses on students who “recognize the practical application of noble ideals and is based on excellence of character and service to humanity.”

Evans knows about applying noble ideals and serving humanity. While with Africa Exchange, she traveled to nursery schools and completed engineering projects, including the building of bio-sand water filters to help prevent diarrheal diseases and gunny-sac gardens as a source of nutrition.

“It was a really eye-opening experience because it showed me that the world was bigger than I realized, and it gave me a new perspective on poverty,” Evans said. “It showed how much need there is and how unfixable it all seems, but it helped me realize that I can fix the situation for at least one person.”

Along with witnessing these conditions in Africa, Evans learned to delegate, plan events and even help with tornado cleanups while working with the officers and fellow classmates of the Tau Beta Pi engineering honor society. She added to the ever-expanding list by throwing in a student co-op position at the engineering center in Huntsville, Ala.

“I was a mechanical engineering co-op, and the first term I was working in a composites lab working on helicopter and missile parts that are made from carbon fiber. My second term worked with missile simulations,” Evans said. “I learned to work in the professional world and develop skills for relating to people and just learned how to adjust to a new job.”

Evans, who constantly has a running to-do list and is always thinking about her next move, said organization is key. Robert Taylor, one of her professors of mechanical engineering, said she excels as a student because of her attention to detail.

“I have had Christine for two classes, ME 460 ‘Thermal Systems Instrumentation,’ and ME 415 ‘Energy Systems Design,’” Taylor said. “I was particularly impressed with the thought and background effort that she put into her projects and formal lab reports.”

Evans’ roommate, UA graduate student Courtney Belcher, met Evans when she was a freshman, and the two became friends over grilled cheese sandwiches, soup and homework.

“Christine is thoughtful, thorough, a diligent learner, a good listener and delightful company. She is not afraid to enter into new things and situations, even though she is introverted, which is something I admire about her,” Belcher said. “Christine has always challenged me to be everything that I can be, and she has never failed to be an encouraging, supportive friend and spiritual light.”

Evans said she is grateful her college experience worked out so smoothly, and encouraged others to find their passions as well.

“Try a lot of things that sound interesting to you, and then focus on the things you’re really passionate about,” Evans said. “It’s good to get involved and make a lot of friendships, and in order to look back at your college career and feel satisfied, you need to focus on your top priorities.”

Site funds creations of students, professors

Health Hut takes ‘Cash Cab’ approach to students’ health education

DIY UA hosts 2nd ‘knitting party’ Thursday