Ferg Post Office to undergo new management in July

Beginning July 1, the Ferguson Center Post Office will be managed by the UA Campus Mail department, Tony Johnson, executive director of logistics and support services, said.

The current post office location in the Ferguson Center will be remodeled and all Campus Mail functions will continue to work from this location, Johnson said.

“Campus Mail will handle student mail and packages, mailboxes, departmental mail and all other mailing options that are currently available with USPS,” Johnson said. “In addition, computers will be available for students to go online to ship items by UPS or FedEx. These packages will be accepted at the Campus Mail counter.”

Nicholas Caluda, a sophomore majoring in English, said he has noticed a decline in the level of service at the post office during his time at the University.

“I use the post office on an almost-daily basis,” Caluda said. “The service, though now good, was much better a few semesters ago. At the beginning of last semester, it was a nightmare trying to get a package with waits upwards of two hours long as the norm for several weeks.”

(See also “Ferguson Center Post Office to close in May”)

Caluda said he thinks the management change is a response to staffing problems.

“I think this [change] really has more to do with the under-staffing of clerks, though, than any poor service from the employees themselves,” he said. “As long as I can still receive mail and packages in a timely fashion, I don’t particularly care who’s running it. It’s better than having to drive miles away or go all the way to the Strip every time I’d need to get mail. Whether or not it will be a good change remains to be seen.”

Johnson said current Campus Mail employees will assume some of the similar job functions of current USPS employees. Any new positions will be posted online, and the normal hiring process will be followed in filling UA positions.

Mindy Russo, a sophomore majoring in biology and anthropology, said she does not think it is necessary for the post office to change management.

“The post office usually has a pretty long line, but there are certain times where I can get in and go quickly,” Russo said. “I felt as though they were understaffed. If they hired more employees, it would have solved the problem. Overall, I don’t see why they can’t still use USPS.”

Leading in today’s Crimson White:

UH program equips pre-med students, connects community

Gymnastics team defeats UCLA in top-10 matchup

Men’s basketball team falls to Florida in Gainesville Saturday