Kappa Delta to host 4th annual Shamrock Run

Ashanka Kumari

The members of The University of Alabama’s Kappa Delta sorority will host their fourth annual 5k Shamrock Run Saturday at the Kappa Delta sorority house on Magnolia Drive.

All proceeds will benefit the chapter’s local philanthropy, Child Abuse Prevention Services, and its national philanthropy, Prevent Child Abuse of America.

“Last year, the Zeta chapter raised a groundbreaking $34,854, but this year, the chapter hopes to raise even more money for prevention and treatment of child abuse and neglect,” Grace Peters, Kappa Delta’s vice president for public relations, said.

Kappa Delta first began supporting PCA in 1981 and began the nationwide Shamrock event in 1983, Peters said. Since then, more than $7 million has been raised to benefit child abuse prevention efforts across the country.

“Here in Tuscaloosa, CAPS provides school and parenting programs, which are available for free of charge,” Anna Price Olson, Kappa Delta’s vice president of community service, said. “This year, with our fourth annual Shamrock Run, we hope to provide funding for CAPS to use in these school and parenting programs. We also hope the event will raise awareness for both the local nonprofit and the prevention child abuse in general.”

Kappa Delta will give 20 percent of all proceeds to PCA and the remaining 80 percent to CAPS, Olson said.

“We encourage everyone to participate,” Olson said. “On Saturday, we hope to have a wide range of runners.”

The race begins at 10 a.m. Saturday at the Kappa Delta house with registration beginning at 9 a.m. The registration fee is $20 and participants may walk or run in the race. There will be prizes awarded to the winners including a Yeti cooler and a purse from Effie’s Inc. For more information, visit kappadeltaua.com.

Leading in today’s Crimson White:

Tide heads to Hilton Head for tournament

YouTube Pilates Cassey Ho helps students save money, stay at home

UA, UAB sponsor art history symposium