March filled with madness perfect for sports fans

Most likely everyone has heard already that Alabama football will kick off its season against the Virginia Tech Hokies. And like any true Crimson Tide fan, we already assume that we’re going to dominate the first game.

Personally, I too think that this game will be very interesting but for different reasons than most students. I previously lived in Virginia, and I have tons of friends that go to Tech, so my phone has been blowing up with the football news.

In the past 10 years of the Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game, Alabama has played Virginia Tech twice. The last time the Tide played the Hokies was back in 2009. Alabama beat Tech 34-24.

This game has more meaning to me because I have some good friends that attend Tech. And even though they like to brag about their team and exasperate the truth, the real fact is that this game should be a good game for both teams.

Last season, Alabama ended with the BCS National Championship win as well as a 13-1 record. Virginia Tech ended their season 7-6. The two team’s records are on completely different levels.

The president of the Chick-fil-A Kickoff team said this game as an “epic game between two top programs led by two of the best coaches in college football.” But really, will it be an epic game?

I know everyone wants a good ol’ fashioned game that will start the football season right, but by putting the No. 1 team against Tech seems a little bit silly. And that could just be because Tech didn’t have an overly successful year.

On top of Virginia Tech’s average year, rumors flew around that they wanted to be considered to become a part of the SEC. Though they were claimed to be false by Tech’s head coach, it’s interesting that both teams were selected for this kickoff game.

Regardless of why both teams were picked for the game, the game could define both teams’ seasons. For Alabama, this could be the start of its next attempt to win its third championship. For Virginia Tech, the game could present them as a big league team.

Gary Stokan, president of the Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game Bowl, said this game will have two of the best fan bases available. I know for a fact that Tech’s fans are just as loyal to the program as Alabama fans are. The fans alone will make this game insane.

Though my friends love to build up the Hokies and talk the talk, the real challenge is between the players. As a Bama girl, I’m not completely sure that Virgina Tech is ready to compete against the Tide, but as a girl who lived in Virginia for some time, I wouldn’t completely disregard Tech, because its fan base could surprise everyone.

In the end, the kickoff game will start off the season that will define two teams, if only because the fan bases are superfans.