We need to be honest, accessible and transparent as campus leaders

My name is Parker Graham, and I am currently a junior studying chemical engineering here at the Capstone. I am originally from Birmingham, Ala., but have lived in Tuscaloosa ever since I was 2. Yes, I realize I went quite a long way for college.

I am currently seeking the office of vice president of external affairs. After spending a year in the SGA office serving as secretary of the SGA Senate, I have gained a great perception of each position’s responsibilities; the one that interests me the most is vice president of external affairs.

This vice presidency spot is very much a project-oriented position, and I strongly believe this fact only plays to my strengths. I am effective at managing fellow co-workers and designating certain individuals to tasks in order for everything to be completed in a smooth, efficient manner.

On top of this, I simply enjoy the work encompassed within the Office of External Affairs. From the ground stages of project development to the final result, I love every minute of it. No matter how much I enjoy the execution of projects though, the most rewarding part will always be witnessing the positive impact certain projects have around campus and the local community. I am an individual who once passionate about something, commits my full effort to ensure that it is completed to the best of my ability.

I have simplified my platform into a short acronym I call “HAT.” The “H” stands for honesty. This promise is quite simple: I will always be honest and truthful to fellow students, faculty members and the local community. Whether the news is positive or negative, I will not fabricate the truth of the planning and the outcomes of projects undertaken. This trait is essential in a candidate, because not only is it the moral thing to do, but lack of honesty hinders progress.

The “A” stands for accessibility. This is an extremely crucial quality in an elected executive position. If I am not always accessible, then how can I accurately represent and promote the needs of students on campus to others? After all, my first concern regarding this campus is fellow students. I view the position of vice president of external affairs not as a leadership opportunity, but instead an opportunity of service as well as an opportunity to give back to this university and city, both of which have given so much to me. There will always be a means of contacting me. I strongly encourage students to stop by the office, even if it is just simply to talk about random things.

The final letter in my “HAT” platform stands for transparency. I would like the Office of External Affairs to be viewed as a glass box; whatever is held within is in open sight for all to see. If elected, I want all students to hold me accountable for my actions. This is easiest to do when transparency is achieved so that everybody is informed and educated on the workings of the Office External Affairs.

To go beyond the simple acronym of “HAT,” you will always have in me someone who listens. I encourage all to approach me with any issue of concern, regardless if it lies within the responsibilities of vice president of external affairs.

Parker Graham is running for the SGA position of vice president of external affairs. He currently serves as the secretary of the SGA Senate.