“Family Guy” Writer Brings Humor to Campus

By Tori Luna

Both laughs and controversial discussion echoed through the Ferguson Center on Wednesday night because of ““Family Guy”” writer Andrew Goldberg.

The University Union, RHA and the Office of Student Media invited Andrew Goldberg to campus for a night of Hot Topic discussion during their event called Crimson Culture Week.

Goldberg has written four ““Family Guy”” episodes.

“We decided to invite Andrew Goldberg to Culture Week because the way different cultures and stereotypes are portrayed in “Family Guy” is such a relevant issue for students,” said Lizzie Yarbrough, programming assistant for University Union Programs.

The topics discussed at the forum ranged from the racial and religious jokes used on the show to the sexuality of one of the shows main characters, Stewie Griffin.

“We don’t make his sexuality obvious because it allows us to use it both ways. We do whatever gets a laugh,” Goldberg said.

One of the issues addressed by Goldberg was if he ever thought that “Family Guy” went too far.

“We hear that question a lot. It’s not, ‘Has “Family Guy” gone too far?’ It should be ‘has “Family Guy” portrayed something I don’t agree with,’” Goldberg said.

After the Hot Topics discussion, Goldberg spoke to students about how “Family Guy” is created and social satire in the media.

Goldberg talked about some of the issues that “Family Guy” normally addresses, like organized religion, gay marriage, and immigration.

“Ultimately “Family Guy” is a very left-wing show,” Goldberg said.

Goldberg walked students through the process of what an episode goes through before it is aired. Fox representatives view the episode and they decide if parts need to be edited or taken out, he said, or if the story is too controversial to show on TV.

“An episode we wrote about Lois getting an abortion was prohibited from airing,” Goldberg said. “Some of the Fox affiliates refused to show it, so the network just pulled it. It will be on the DVD, though.”

Junior Caiti Clark attended because she thought the events sounded interesting. “I don’t really watch “Family Guy”, but now I know more about it and where the writers are coming from.”

The talks were designed to expose students to the work it takes to produce a popular TV show, and also the implications media has on culture.

“We really hope that students leave with a better understanding of culture here on campus and portrayals of culture in today’s popular media,” Yarbrough said.