Expansion ongoing at Ferguson Center

The Ferguson Center is expanding and renovating to accommodate the increasing number of students at The University of Alabama. Cathy Andreen, director of Media Relations, said the project is scheduled for completion by Aug. 1, 2014.

Andreen said there are no additions currently open, and offices are planning on moving to the new expansion at a later date. Offices that will move into the expanded space include the Career Center, Crossroads, Student Government Association, Dean of Students Office, Ferguson Administration, the Supply Store, Student Involvement, Greek Affairs, the Community Service Center and University Programs.

Andreen said there would be no additional parking spaces added.

“The construction site is based in the South parking lot; however, there are state parking spaces and handicapped parking spaces still available to use,” Andreen said.

SGA Director of Media Relations, Leela Foley, a senior majoring in public relations and marketing, said the SGA will be relocated to a temporary office until construction is finished next summer.

“Our offices have not moved yet, but we are scheduled to move out of the Ferguson Center the week of March 2014,” Foley said. “SGA will have new offices, but the only thing we know so far is the general area of where we will be located.”

Ruth Bishop, a sophomore majoring in biology and Spanish, said the expansion could be a good or bad thing for organizations setting up tables in the Ferguson Center.

“There will be more room for organizations’ tables, but it could be overwhelming,” Bishop said. “More tables might take away from the information each organization is trying to give out.”

For up-to-date information on the expansion, visit ferguson.ua.edu