Crimson Tide golfers prepare for Walker Cup

The 2013 edition of the Walker Cup, one of amateur golf’s most prestigious events, will feature four golfers from The University of Alabama – a school record. Seniors Cory Whitsett and Bobby Wyatt and junior Justin Thomas will represent the United States, while incoming freshman Gavin Moynihan will compete for Great Britain and Ireland in the transcontinental tournament this weekend in Southampton, N.Y.

Thomas and Whitsett were among the first five golfers selected in July while Wyatt and Moynihan had their names added Aug. 18, something Wyatt said was nerve-wracking.

“It was just relief and excitement for me,” he said. “I was probably the bubble boy, right there on the end, in or out. Getting the call that I was gonna make the team was just something really exciting for me. It’s been my biggest goal of the summer, so for that to happen was just really exciting.”

Whitsett, Wyatt’s friend and roommate, also said he recalled being anxious and then relieved.

“It was bid day when he got the call, so we were all pretty nervous,” Whitsett said. “We were kind of on pins and needles, and when he texted me and told me he got the call, I was really, really happy for him. He’s had such a good year and is so consistent since the last Walker Cup that he was more than deserving for a spot.”

With Thomas turning pro the week after the conclusion of the Walker Cup, Whitsett said it will be special for the “Big Three” (Thomas, Whitsett and Wyatt) to play together one last time.

“It’s awesome. What a way to do it, then going out on the biggest state,” Whitsett said. “It’s been a huge goal of Justin’s and mine and Bobby’s, and for it to all come into fruition at the same time is really cool.”

Together at the Capstone, Wyatt, Thomas and Whitsett helped the program capture its first national championship in 2013. Two-time SEC Player of the Year, Whitsett clinched the victory with a par on the 15th hole after Wyatt won his first seven individual holes to give the Tide an early lead. Thomas, who won the Haskins Award in 2012 as the nation’s top amateur golfer, is only the second two-time first team All-American for Alabama.

As for the veterans who plan to return, Wyatt said he is more than ready to begin a new collegiate season with his preseason No. 1 team.

“For this to be my last year is shocking, but I’m very excited about this year,” Wyatt said. “We have a great team; we have a great new assistant coach in Mike McGraw. I know we’re going to work hard, and it won’t be an issue. Hopefully we can get back to where we were, and this is a brand new team with brand new expectations and whole other challenges ahead of us, and we’re going to embrace that.