Classes introduce concert etiquette

While many students take classes such as introduction to listening and introduction to theatre in order to fulfill the fine arts requirement at The University of Alabama, some may not realize the lesson that’s not on the syllabus – concert etiquette.

Classes like MUS 121 and TH 114 require students to attend performances during the semester in order to experience the curriculum first hand. Brad Baker, a Doctor of Music Arts candidate in piano performance said that, on occasion, students can be disrespectful at the concerts they attend for class credit.

“While not the case 100 percent of the time, and I do believe that these students mean no intentional disrespect, such actions convey to the performer a lack of interest in their craft,” he said. “Personally, I become rather involved in my own performance; consequently, most actions go unnoticed by me, so they have not negatively affected me.”

Texting, whispering with friends and even listening to iPods during performances are some of the disruptive things students have done at concerts, Baker said.

Kevin Woosley, an MUS 121 instructor, said that appropriate concert behavior is really founded on the listener’s respect of the performer.

“The topic of ‘how to behave at a concert’ really comes down to respect,” Woosley said. “Anyone should always respect the performer. Each performer has put hours upon hours of hard work into their performance. Most likely, this is the only public performance of the work that they will give so we, as audience members, should respect their hard work and willingness to perform for us.”

Woosley shared his expectations for his students when they attend performances and guidelines students can use when going to a recital.

“Some ways to show this respect to performers will seem, to some, like common sense,” he said. “But, we live in a society where some people grow up attending events like these concerts and others do not. Everyone, however, should learn to respect the presenter.”

“The snoring and/or falling out of the chair causes a bit of a disruption,” Woosley said. “And yes, this has happened.”

Other ways students should show the performers have their full attention include not playing on a cell phone and turn off any item that might make noise and be distracting to performers. Go to the bathroom before the concert starts as leaving during the middle of a performance can also be distracting. It is also important to respect the facilities by not putting feet or legs on the railing in the Concert Hall.

Woosley said it is necessary to make live performances a part of the requirements for classes like MUS 121 and TH 114.

“Everyone is really busy, so to get someone to try something new can, many times, be a challenge,” Woosley said. “As a course requirement, the students, obviously, have to attend the concerts. Since it easily fulfills a class grade, this gives the student an opportunity to try something new and accomplish a course task at the same time.”

“[Go] in with an open mind, willing to ‘try out’ a different style of music,” Woosley said. “Basically, allow yourself to enjoy the concert. Respect yourself.”