Tide falls short at SEC Championship, doubles team advances

Alex Gilbert

The No. 64 Alabama women’s tennis team fell to No. 74 LSU last week 4-2 in the Southeastern Conference tournament. The Crimson Tide came out strong, winning the doubles point, but LSU fought back to win four singles points.

Doubles partners sophomore Courtney McLane and freshman Alexa Guarachi, ranked No. 17, won 8-1 on court one, while senior Alice Tunaru and freshman Antonia Foehse won 8-3 on court two. Court three doubles play went unfinished.

In singles, No. 57 Guarachi won 6-0, 6-3.

Now ranked 68th at the conclusion of the season, The Crimson Tide finished 10-12 and placed ninth in the SEC.

“The team demonstrated a lot of maturity, resilience and tenacity,” said head coach Jenny Mainz. “They fought in every match.”

With many opportunities during the season to finish, the team couldn’t convert them into wins. The team played nine 4-3 matches and capitalized on three. Three of the matches were losses to Georgia, South Carolina and Vanderbilt.

“Certain goals were set for the season, and we fell short,” McLane said. “We worked hard and came up short on some. That is nothing to be ashamed of.”

The Tide performed its best as a team this season against TCU, where the Tide won 4-3, and against Auburn, also defeating the Tigers 4-3 in Auburn.

Despite setbacks this season, such as a particularly challenging schedule and some key injuries, the team remains positive about its future. The Tide is ready to fight back and focus on improving.

“We have an unbelievable team with chemistry, and we play and care for each other,” McLane said.

Though the team may not have reached the NCAA Championship, doubles team McLane and Guarachi will still be competing in the tournament. McLane and Guarachi are 7-3 in SEC play and 13-4 in the regular season at the No. 1 position.

“I am very proud of them,” Mainz said. “They do an outstanding job at leading the team and are a very convincing doubles team.”

McLane and Guarachi have been playing all season together, and defeating the 12th-ranked Ole Miss duo of Kristi Boxx and Karen Nijssen in a rematch set their momentum.

Along with playing doubles in the SEC tournament, Guarachi also has a chance of playing singles in the NCAA tournament. At the No. 2 spot for the Tide, her win against LSU marks her 12th consecutive win this season. The NCAA Tournament Selection Show will air May 4.

Next season the Tide will be welcoming two Blue Chip recruits. Alex Clay from Grayson, Ga., is ranked No. 2 in the state of Georgia, and Mary Anne Macfarlane from Ogden, Utah is the top-ranked player in Utah.

As for Alabama, players one, two and three will also be returning in the lineup.

“These players will make a profound impact immediately,” Mainz said. “We have good, strong talent, a deep team with leadership returning.”