So, I Graduate in May: What now?

This time of year brings many things. Summer is nearing, school is almost out, and the libraries are full with students studying for finals. Students also have to decide what to do after graduation.

The current recession hit hard last year, and many students were faced with the option of seeking employment or continuing on to graduate school, but now the job outlook may be somewhat better.

Even though some students may be afraid to enter directly into the job market, The National Association of Colleges and Employers’ Job Outlook 2010 Spring Update shows employers expect to hire 5.3 percent more new college graduates in 2009-10 than they did in 2008-09.

“This is the first positive hiring outlook for new college graduates since October of 2008,” said Marilyn Mackes, NACE executive director, in the report. “We’re seeing hiring increases in nearly all the reporting industries.”

Brandon Bowen, manager of employer relations and recruiting at the Career Center, said the students who have waited until the end realize that there are limited options in the job market.

“Given the state of the economy, there has been a natural progression in the number of students choosing to go to graduate school rather than enter the job market,” he said.

He said there are many students who actually consider graduate school an easy way to further their education.

“Graduate school does give you the additional skill sets you need and the opportunities to build leadership,” he said. “It also helps them diversify themselves, ultimately making them look more attractive to employers.”

Molly McPherson, a senior majoring in public relations and political science, will be attending Indiana University seeking a master’s degree in public affairs.

“I am interested in public policy and non-profit management,” she said. “My dream job would be to work in Washington D.C. at a company that promotes civic engagement and volunteerism.”

McPherson said it is a chancy job market right now, and she made an educated decision to continue doing something she was passionate about. “My work here at Alabama has provided a platform for me to go on to the next step,” she said. “I am able to attend the number one public relations program in the country and I have found a way to combine that love I have with political science.”

Every six months after graduation, the UA Career Center compiles data to find out where graduates are based on college. As of right now, the data for the Engineering school is released and, with a class size of 125, there are 25 percent who are still seeking employment and 23 percent who went on to further their education.

“We are in the process of compiling the other numbers for the other colleges, but we give the students ample time for placement after graduation before releasing data,” Bowen said.

As a recruiter for the University, Bowen’s job is to get businesses to come to career fairs and recruit students.

He said there are many attributes employers are looking for in students that make them attractive when seeking a job.

“Most employers look for practical real world experience, leadership and teamwork roles and good communication skills,” he said. “A company wants to ensure that they can have an employee that can communicate well with clients.”

Another May graduate, Steven MacNeil, majoring in public relations and political science, said he also is choosing to attend grad school after graduation.

“I want to continue to my education because I don’t feel finished with school,” he said. “I simply want more time in school to learn, explore and decide what I want to do with my life.”

MacNeil said the job market looks very meager right now and, though he is aware that many people have to settle for less than their ideal positions at the onset, it seems that even those half-way decent entry level positions are getting fewer.

“A friend of mine graduated recently with bachelors in both criminal justice and social work and the only work he could find was in data entry,” he said. “I think that says a lot of the current state of things.”