The cost of not studying abroad

Three weeks from now, I’ll be changing my educational status from University of Alabama student to alumna. It seems the closer I inch toward Dec. 14, the more hours I spend reflecting on my time here as a student and the opportunities I would seize could do it all over again.

I’d otherwise agree that dwelling on regrets is a waste of time, but the one regret I can’t seem to release is not studying abroad during college.

I’m among a new minority of UA students: a native Alabamian. My passport doesn’t indicate I’ve strayed far from Alabama, either. Fifty-two white, blank pages appear as equally disappointing as last spring’s snow “blizzard” that briefly blanketed the Quad.

My excuse for opting out of studying abroad was similar to those of many students facing my situation: financial reasons. I’m aware various scholarships await students wanting to pursue an international education, but my frustration only grew after being unqualified for most of these. Plenty of scholarships exist; it just takes tenacious research. Short-term volunteer options also exist and offer the same benefits as semester-long programs.

I’ve been told a time or two by my parents that studying abroad is a luxury, not a necessity. Though I disagree with my parents’ beliefs and my sassy attitude never won them over, there’s an expiration date on blaming your parents for where you end up in life. I easily could have exposed myself to as many foreign countries as the tacky reality television shows I watch, but saving each show on DVR was easier than saving every hard-earned dollar from my summer job.

Not only have I missed out on great memories, I’ve realized my decision (or indecision) has impacted my job opportunities. Most employers assume studying abroad is an “unofficial requirement” for my field of study. Spending an extended period of time learning in an unfamiliar environment increases self-awareness and interpersonal skills, and these qualities are invaluable in an increasingly global job market.

Aside from personal dissatisfaction and a shaky job outlook, I’ve realized studying abroad serves a greater societal purpose. Students who spend time studying abroad positively impact the community by bringing different perspectives into campus organizations plagued by informal segregation.

During my visit home for fall break, I spent some time discussing personal regrets with my step-grandfather. At one point during our conversation, he reminded me not to underestimate the value of living outside my comfort zone. He stresses this snippet of wisdom for good reason. He grew up in a Dutch community outside Johannesburg, South Africa. Like me, he knew what racism was from an early age but never had to experience what it felt like. He relocated to England in the early 1990s when it became too dangerous to live in his hometown due to anti-apartheid uprisings. Since he left, he’s traveled frequently.

I’m under the impression he means confronting and immersing yourself in other cultures is the first step to understanding and cooperating with them.

During a recent symposium examining student perceptions of race relations at the University, researchers presented survey results spanning 50 years of UA students’ racial attitudes. The research indicated that while white UA students expressed high levels of racial resentment toward policies that reduce racism, these attitudes are indistinctive among students across all U.S. universities.

While I prepare to face the world I haven’t seen much of yet, I can attest from experience that it’s difficult to gain a fresh perspective of the world when the same people and scenery surround you.

Instead of gravitating toward the idea of studying abroad as “Is this experience something I can afford?,” we as students need to ask ourselves, “Can I afford not to study abroad?”

Lauren Lieb is a senior majoring in journalism and political science.