Saban’s wisdom can apply to academics

You don’t have to be part of our storied Alabama football team – or even ever picked up a football – to appreciate the words of wisdom of coach Nick Saban. Whether he’s on press conferences or in interviews like his most recent special on “60 Minutes,” Saban imparts ideas that all of us can apply in our everyday lives as well – including in our academic lives. Here are a few of my favorite Sabanisms that I feel all of us can consider as we progress through our college careers.

Every play has a life of its own

Saban talks much of “The Process” – it’s not just what you win, it’s how you win as well, and every play has a life of its own. That said, every play, or in a student’s case, homework assignment, quiz or test, counts. If you can focus on every task like that, then you don’t have to worry about getting the grade you want come finals week; it will come on its own.

I know it’s tempting to say things like “What’s the use?” or “I don’t feel like doing it” and not give your 100 percent toward something that may have a small impact on your grade. But just think, doing your homework and performing well on quizzes only helps you in the long run. Many times, questions on midterms and finals come directly from these smaller assignments. The better you prepare for the small stuff, the better off you will be when it comes to the bigger pieces of the grade. And even if you don’t get the touchdown, a field goal can help you sometimes in winning the game. That is, even if your test performance doesn’t end up exactly on par, sometimes those extra two or three points on homework or quizzes can make a big difference.

Also, don’t celebrate immediately and go on “cruise control” if you do particularly well on the first big assignment. Things get harder, and it’s always important to move on and stay focused for the next challenge.

On losses: This loss doesn’t define us – it’s how we recover

I like this line, spoken by Saban at the press conference following the loss in the 2008 SEC Championship. Just as Alabama came out of that imperfect season to win a National Championship the next, you can move from a bad academic situation to a better one. Professors are always there to help you, but you must be willing to help yourself first – and seek help from them when you need it.

Yes, it’s devastating if you don’t score well on a test. But you are not finished. When you take the time to realize what you did wrong, you can change things for the better. See your professor, read your book between the lines, go to free tutoring sessions (if available), and most importantly, start changing your game plan as soon as you realize there’s a problem. Then you can possibly gain more yardage.

On hype: It is just another game

I’ve heard many times that one particular class is quite hard, and from the onset I am tempted to feel discouraged to start with. But rumors are often exaggerated or dead wrong. Just as Saban says before games with lots of media attention, like Iron Bowls or National Championships, “we still have to play 60 minutes” or “it’s going to be the same football field,” the same is the case with all classes. Do not start with a bad attitude influenced by some “hype.” Things often do not turn out as you heard. Play the full semester with the right attitude, and you will turn out fine.

I could go on about Saban’s life lessons, but I will leave it here. In short, all of Saban’s principles can be summed up in one motto: Stay focused throughout, play the semester “play-by-play” rather than worrying about the final result, always have the right mind, and you will succeed.

Neil Chakraborti is a junior majoring in economics and math.