Top 10 football moments in 2013

No. 10 Kevin Norwood makes “unbelievable” catch against Vols

Over the course of his Alabama career, Norwood developed a reputation as the Crimson Tide’s sure-handed, go-to receiver. The most memorable example of that in 2013 came late in the third quarter of a blowout win over Tennessee when Norwood made a leaping, back shoulder catch near the sideline for a 34-yard gain. In the postgame interviews, Alabama coach Nick Saban called the catch “unbelievable.”

No. 9 Alabama offense erupts vs. Kentucky

It was far from the best Alabama game all season, but it was perhaps the best game the Crimson Tide played in 2013. The Alabama offense rebounded from early miscues to score on its final eight drives of the game, putting up 668 yards of total offense in the process. It was also the first time in program history that Alabama had a 300-yard passer and two 100-yard rushers in the same game.

No. 8 DeAndrew White’s acrobatic touchdown grab

Normally, a play against a lesser opponent like Georgia State wouldn’t make this list, but exceptions are made when the catch is as spectacular as White’s was. With the Crimson Tide going in for its third touchdown of the first quarter, White made a leaping one-handed catch around the defender’s body for the 10-yard score. It was type of catch that you have to see to believe.

No. 7 Derrick Henry lights up Oklahoma in Sugar Bowl

The freshman running back saw limited action on the field for most of the season but made his touches count when given the opportunity in the Sugar Bowl. Henry was the most noticeable bright spot in the game for Alabama, gaining 161 all-purpose yards and two touchdowns on just nine touches in an otherwise forgettable game for the Crimson Tide.

No. 6 C.J. Mosley turns away Ole Miss on fourth down

With the Rebels looking to make it a game in the second half, the unquestioned leader of the Alabama defense in 2013 came up with his biggest play of the season, batting down the errant pass deep in Alabama territory to keep the shutout intact for the Crimson Tide.

No. 5 AJ McCarron bomb to Amari Cooper in Iron Bowl

With the game tied at 21, McCarron’s 99-yard touchdown pass to Cooper in the fourth quarter gave the Crimson Tide the lead on what looked to be the game’s defining play at the time. Had Auburn not pulled off the dramatic upset over Alabama on the game’s final play, the most memorable play of the game and perhaps the entire college football season, would’ve been this play.

No. 4 Vinnie Sunseri intercepts, jukes Manziel in shootout win over Texas A&M

In a game filled with plenty of highlights, the most memorable of them all may not have been a single play, but a single move. Leading 28-14 early in the second half, Sunseri picked off a deflected pass from reigning Heisman Trophy winner Johnny Manziel then juked him as he raced downfield for the 73-yard return touchdown. Despite a late comeback attempt from the Aggies led by Manziel, Alabama would hang on to win, 49-42.

No. 3 Christion Jones does it all in season opener

The best individual performance by an Alabama player this season came in the very first game of the season. The Crimson Tide struggled offensively for much of the game but were bailed out by Jones, who scored on a 72-yard punt return, a 94-yard kick return and a 34-yard reception in the 35-10 win over the Hokies.

No. 2 Jarrick Williams picks up game-changing first down vs. LSU

In what is annually one of Alabama’s toughest games, the defining play didn’t come on a last-second touchdown but rather a six-yard run for a first down. Tied at 17 and facing a fourth-and-2 from its own 47-yard line midway through the third quarter, Alabama elected to run a fake punt, where linebacker C.J. Mosley received the snap and handed the ball off to cornerback Jarrick Williams. The play changed the course of the game, as Alabama put on a dominating second-half performance the rest of the way en route to a three-touchdown victory.

No. 1 Nick Saban re-signs with Alabama

Despite rumors and reports that he would be leaving Alabama for Texas, Saban ultimately signed a multi-year contract extension in December that is expected to keep the four-time national championship winning coach at Alabama for the remainder of his career.