Remembering Juston Martin

The first memory I have of Juston Martin comes from a middle school football practice in 2005 when we were both in eighth grade. This was a long time ago, but I wanted to highlight this memory because it shows Juston’s true character.

During Juston’s middle school and high school years, people called him “Peanut” because he was so small, and being a “Peanut” on a football team is never an advantage. I was about the same size as Juston in eighth grade, so he and I were usually paired together for different drills in practice. Because of our size, coach often excluded Juston and I from hitting drills. Although we worked hard, we never got to step foot on the field when Friday nights came around.

One day I finally turned to Juston and said something along these lines, “Man, we come to practice four days a week, and we still haven’t played in a game yet. Coach hardly even lets us participate in practice. I think I’m going to quit and try soccer or something.”

Juston looks back at me and says something along these lines, “You know what? You’re right. We come out here just as much as everyone else, and they don’t even let us practice. I’m not putting up with this anymore.” He turned around and jogged out onto the field where Coach Turner was standing and tapped him on the shoulder. A few seconds later, Juston was on the field scrimmaging with the rest of the team. I will never know what he said to Coach Turner that day in practice, but whatever it was, it worked.

My first instincts were to complain, quit football and take up another sport. The word “quit” was not even in Juston’s vocabulary. He didn’t just talk the talk. Juston walked the walk. He always had a positive attitude, and he didn’t take no for an answer. Not even from our eighth grade football coach.

Since that day in middle school, Juston hadn’t changed. He was an exemplary student in The University of Alabama’s business school, and I frequently enjoyed his company while studying in the Bashinsky Lab. When he wasn’t studying, he could be found working the register at Publix with that contagious grin on his face.

Juston was an integral part of the UA community, and he was a friend to everyone he met. His appreciation for life radiated through his smile every single day, and he inspired everyone he came across. The pain of this loss has been difficult, but Juston wouldn’t want us to be upset for his sake, so instead of mourning his death, I would like to celebrate Juston’s life. Juston was a man of true honor and character. He was always planning something big, and he had a knack for success. He had an irreplaceable personality, and he always put his family and friend’s needs before his own. The city of Montgomery, The University of Alabama and everyone who knew Juston was better because of him, and he will truly be missed.

Austin Barranco is a senior majoring in finance.