Shaw takes first place at Bama Idol on Thursday

Shelby Lynne Shaw, a sophomore majoring in communication studies, won first place at Bama Idol on Thursday night after performing “She Will Be Loved” by Maroon 5.

“It feels great,” Shaw said. “It’s exciting. I’m super proud of my guitar guy, too.”

Shaw sang as Read Mills, a freshman majoring in political science and philosophy, played guitar. After Shaw, a resident assistant, answered a noise complaint concerning Mills and his band practicing in a parking deck, Mills and Shaw started talking. Shaw then called Mills and asked him to accompany her, proving their first duet a success.

“It was awesome,” Mills said. “She’s really talented and really cool. She knows how to get in the zone, which is nice because a lot of people who do just singing don’t really get that.”

Phillips Thomas, the student engagement coordinator for Bama Idol, orchestrated four auditions for the event. A panel of volunteer judges assessed the singers. The finale had three judges present to give feedback and a poll for students to text or tweet their votes.

“I would say it was fairly successful,” Thomas said. “People were smiling and entertained. People voted and participated well. I wanted this program to be about the finalists performing and choirs getting exposure.”

The University of Alabama AcaBellas were invited to sing, entertaining the audience between the last performer and the judging.

Robert Hayes, the associate dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, was one of three judges that attended the finale.

“It’s more than raw ability,” Hayes said. “It’s how they bring it all together that makes the melody.”

Rosalind Moore, director of student involvement, was another judge present. She sings with her church and at weddings, and said she tries to incorporate singing into her life at least once a week.

“I’m an artist at heart, so I love to be a part of these things,” Moore said. “Everyone brings something different to the table and this is a great way to show it.”

The last judge was Steven Hood, the executive director of Housing and Resource Communities. Hood said he listens to music daily and likes seeing the students in this element.

“The students are letting their hair down, so to say,” Hood said. “It’s fun to watch.”

Four other singers sang in the Lloyd Auditorium to an audience of about 50 people.

Phillip Estes, a senior majoring in mechanical engineering, won second place after singing “Who’s Lovin’ You” by Michael Bublé. Liz Long, a sophomore majoring in psychology and religion studies, won third place after singing “Sweater Weather” by The Neighborhood.

All finalist won a gift bag from the athletics’ marketing department. Shaw won $200 worth of SUPe Store credit and a VIP package that included two tickets to a sporting event and vouchers to the concession stands. Estes won $150 in SUPe Store credit, and Long won $100 worth.