90.7 brings class to airwaves

90.7 The Capstone’s summer radio aims to attract the ears of everyone at the University of Alabama. The summer programming includes indie rock, metal, hip-hop, local music Sundays, talk radio and so much more. Station manager Claire Brucker said she is excited about the progress of the station.

“I love the diversity of DJs and the music we play through the week. During the summer, the station is focused on planning and improving the music for the upcoming year, so we’re very open for input from anyone. If you’re willing to learn, we’ll put you on air,” she said.

While the station must have a central format, it is completely student run, and requests are encouraged. 90.7 is also non-profit, which means no commercials.

“I like my iPod as much as anyone, but The Capstone allows students to stay connected to the University while expanding their music knowledge,” Brucker said. “Our DJs do not just play the music; they know it. Since we are all students, we know what students want to hear.”

There is a different theme for each specialty show of the week. Sundays focus on Tuscaloosa music, capping the night with Hackberry Records Social Aid/Pleasure Club from 10 p.m. to midnight. The show not only provides the most local music around, but also the most knowledge about the artists. If you’re searching for concerts, small shows or upcoming events locally, Donovan Reinwald and Adam Morrow keep you updated weekly on “The People’s Show,” which airs Sundays at 8 p.m.

If you’re looking for new music, Jeremy Rich hosts “Please Experience Music” on Mondays from 6 to 8 p.m. Directly following this, “Up Beat Up,” hosted by Parker White, continues the indie music stretch, spinning records of lesser known artists until midnight. These hours are intended to introduce music you won’t hear on the top 40 hit list. Every Monday from 2 to 4 p.m. is “The Hour of Jam with Cam,” guiding you through a variety of jam bands and earlier alternative rock.

What many students do not know is 90.7 plays much more than just indie and alternative rock. Every Tuesday and Thursday from 10 p.m. to 2 a.m. the station brings “The Wide World of Hip Hop and Temptation Zone.” This is a great source for the newest tracks, best beats and true hip-hop.

Perfect jams are essential to a great Saturday night. 90.7 know this, and Taylor gives you the dance music you need on Saturday from 11 p.m. to 1 a.m. This is the perfect way to get a Saturday night started…or finished.

One of the most unique parts of the station is its talk radio. “Turn on the A.C.,” which airs Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 4 to 6 p.m. and gathers members of the Crossroads Community Center to talk about culture and diversity.

If movies are your passion, “Aspect Radio” is where you want to be. Every Saturday at 9 a.m., Ben Flanagan and Corey Craft host Alabama’s one and only movie talk show. They cover a wide range of film, including what’s in theaters now and must-see classics.

Starting July 1, the station is launching a new and improved website. The site will be interactive and full of information on the DJs, as well as the music. Claire Brucker is focused on providing a forum for students to get to know and critique 90.7.

“The new site will allow students to see the faces of the DJs, upcoming shows and a central source for band information,” Brucker said. “We are excited for its launch in a few weeks.”