Spring break playlist important to successful vacation, long road trips

Spring break is in sight, and for many of you, so is a long road trip ahead. Road trips with friends are enjoyable themselves, but in my opinion, the highlight of any road trip is the playlist that accompanies it. If you’re looking for some new music to listen to, or just to save some time and effort, here’s a 15-song playlist that will hopefully guarantee a quick ride to your much-awaited (and needed) vacation.

To start off strong and maintain the high spirits that come with a freshly packed car and visions of freedom, listen to “Time To Run” by Lord Huron as your first song. With the urgent opening lyrics of, “It’s time to run, they’ll string me up for all that I’ve done,” you’ll be convinced it’s your obligation to leave town too. This whimsical, feel-good song was made to be played with the car windows down.

For your second song, “Ways To Go” by Grouplove will trick you into being excited about the many hours ahead. This indie-dance beat concoction is infectious. You’ll soon be singing, maybe even screaming, the repetitive lyrics, “I’ve got a little bit longer, I’ve got a ways to go,” to each other while head-bobbing like it’s your job. It’s okay to press the replay button. I know I did.

You may not be headed anywhere near Morocco, but Moon Taxi’s groovy “Morocco” as song No. 3 will embody the feeling of a needed change of scenery we each know all too well, and “Moneygrabber” as No. 4 by Fitz and The Tantrums will kindly remind you of the catchy “Come On Eileen” with its chanting lyrics and ‘80s sound.

Because you will be most likely headed for the sun, and even if you’re not, “Sun Hands” by Local Natives is the perfect momentum-building No. 5. If “Sun Hands” doesn’t get you pumped up about life enough, a funky, experimental “Diane Young” by Vampire Weekend as No. 6 will surely do the trick with its essence of carpe diem.

“Rill Rill” by Sleigh Bells, “Young Fathers” by Typhoon and “Praise You” by Fatboy Slim as seven, eight and nine will take you on a progression from bubblegum catchiness to orchestral-pop and then finally to funk-electronica. Although significantly different, thanks to their invigorating beats, each song will be equally prone to be stuck in your head or hummed later on.

For that one friend who has probably fallen asleep, “Song For Zula” as No. 10 by Phosphorescent is what a dream would sound like with its airy melody, delicate vocals and gentle violins. After those six minutes of rest are up, appropriately enough, in comes “Like A Mighty River” by the up-and-coming Alabama band, St. Paul & The Broken Bones, as No. 11. Lead singer Paul Janeway’s soulful voice will hit you straight in the chest and remind you there’s no place quite like home.

Song No. 12, “Heart It Races” by Dr. Dog is filled with vocal harmonies, quirky lyrics and even some clapping. This unique song is an instant favorite and belongs on every driving playlist.

Not only is song No. 13, “Atlantic City” by The Band, the anthem of my freshman year spring break experience, it is an all-around timeless song that deserves to be heard by all spring-breakers. A somewhat-melancholy Bruce Springsteen original, The Band’s version of the song is full of life, however contrary to the “everything dies” lyrics that may exist.

Tribal drums and all, Yeasayer’s “Sunrise” is next at No. 14. The screechy vocals and strange rhythms are intriguing and make for a strong almost-finish. “Put the world upon your shoulder/ I’ll stay young while I watch everyone getting older” and “I want to get in the sunrise” are lyrics celebratory of both youth and light and become almost impossible not to sing along to.

Last but most certainly not least, “At The Beach” by The Avett Brothers, No. 15, enters joyfully with whistling, banjo, cello and guitar alike. The stress-relieving lyrics, “Sand beneath our feet, big blue sky above our heads/ No need to keep, the stressing from our everyday life on our minds” have never rung more true. Successfully simulating the bliss of reaching your hypothetical beach destination, this song makes for a happy ending to the long road trip.