The New Black to host march

“Light the Path: For Equality,” a protest against racial inequality, will be held on the University of Alabama campus on Friday.

The protest will consist of a march from the Ferguson Student Center to Malone-Hood Plaza, followed by a rally including speeches and songs. Attendees are encouraged to bring a flashlight with them, representing someone who has died as a result of racial profiling.

Quinisha Huntley, chair of the event, said the protest is meant to commemorate past racial injustices in order to prevent them from happening again in the future.

“The name ‘Light The Path: For Equality’ originated from the idea that as we were remembering victims of racial injustice with a flashlight vigil, we would also be marching for change on their behalf, thus lighting the path as we go,” Huntley said.

(See also “Norris sparks conversations on race relations“)

The protest is hosted by The New Black, a movement for social integration.

“The New Black is a pun in the sense that we are redefining the construction of what it means to be a person of color, so that’s the new black and in the sense of, ‘Hey, it’s the 21st century. Integration is just in; it’s the new black,’” Huntley said.

According to its website, The New Black was created to tear down negative constructs of people of color. The site points to Jordan Davis, Trayvon Martin, Renisha McBride and Kendrick Johnson, black youths who were killed in their own neighborhoods, as contemporary examples of the hositility and danger posed to black individuals through racial profiling.

Huntley said she hopes young people will get involved with the protest not only on the ground, but also on social media as well by using the hashtag #LightThePath.

(See also “March to Rose draws hundreds“)

“At the center of every social movement is a bunch of young people,” Huntley said. “Millennials are the most globally social and arguably the most powerful generation ever. In 140 characters, we can publish a private thought that can turn into a global protest.”

Huntley said the protest is open to all those who want to fight against injustice in regard to race, gender or background.

“The idea behind The New Black is that we are more than crayon colors; we are human beings,” Huntley said. “Anytime there are lives being lost approximately every 36 hours without just cause and no one is held accountable, that is an assault, not just to the community affected, but also to the sanctity of human life. An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.”

The protest will begin at 7:15 p.m. at the Ferguson Center Plaza, or 120 Farrah Hall in case of rain. For more information, go online to tnbmovement.com.

(See also “Fifty years later, true nature of race relations still open for discussion“)