Get On Board Day offers chances for student involvement

Get on Board Day invites all students to attend and learn about the extracurricular activities available at the University.

GOBD is of special interest to members of the incoming freshman class looking to get involved with a club or organization outside of academics while also making new friends.

This year’s GOBD will be a three-part series, with activities on Aug. 28, Sept. 25 and Oct. 2.

“One day isn’t enough,” Kalyn Lee, director of organizational outreach for the Source, said. “It gets so overwhelming for the freshmen, or anybody else for that matter, that you get a vague amount of information. We want to try to eliminate that this year by bringing students back for two other, less crowded days.”

The first day of GOBD, termed Magnificent Mile Style, will showcase many of the organizations and departments at the University.

“A lot will be going on. The students will get to see all of the organizations in a laid back, entertaining environment,” Lee said. “This way, people can see what the organizations have to offer, while also getting a little entertainment amongst all the chaos.”

Besides the additional two days of GOBD this year, changes include a special swipe system that will be implemented to collect student information. There will be a designated area for students to swipe their action cards and their contact information will be distributed to the groups they are interested in joining, making it easier for the organizations to reach out after the day ends, Lee said.

Many organizations have already registered for the first day of the event and anticipate positive results.

“We hope that our table at GOBD will attract girls who are enthusiastic to learn how to play Ultimate,” Haley Djuric, president of the woman’s ultimate Frisbee team, said.

Similarly, Kristin Tabor, president of Crimson Tide Club Cheer, said she wants to recruit dedicated students who love to cheer competitively and reach the team’s goal of 36 members.

Not all of the groups present will be sports teams, however. Ratio Christi, a relatively new Christian organization that deals with looking at religion from a rational perspective, encourages anyone with questions to visit their table at GOBD.

“We really want to make the organization better known,” Mary Lyle, president of Ratio Christi, said. “We want to spark interest in discussions about our beliefs and try to answer the difficult questions.”

Other organizations that will be present include ROTC, Rip Tide, Tide Talks and more.