Grant gets big commitment

The University of Alabama men’s basketball team got big news at the end of June that Carl Engstrom, a 7’1 255-pound center from Sweden, would be joining head coach Anthony Grant and his team when he enrolls at Alabama in August 2010. Engstrom chose Alabama over Seton Hall and also had offers from Georgia Tech, Florida State and Baylor.

“All the coaches are so excited,” said assistant basketball coach Tony Pujol. “Engstrom has goals and a passion for basketball. He plays to win and will do anything it takes to get a victory. He puts his team first and wants to make an impact here at Alabama.”

Engstrom will not be coming to the University from Sweden alone. He will be accompanied by his older brother Axel, who will be joining the Alabama business school when he arrives. The Crimson Tide recruited both brothers to the school even though Carl will be the only one playing basketball.

“Axel was a huge influence on Carl’s decision,” said Pujol. “We had to make sure he liked Alabama and not just Carl. We knew that if Axel didn’t feel comfortable here then Carl wouldn’t commit with us.”

Back home, Engstrom was a standout player in handball, a popular sport around the area where he lives. Engstrom usually has a two-week break from handball and during that time he normally runs. In April 2009, during his break, he decided to pick up a basketball for fun. Axel Engstrom said his brother is a very athletic guy, and it was no surprise to their family that he was good at it. Engstrom picked up the game fairly quickly and made his way on the Under-18 Swedish Basketball team. The team played in the U18 European Championship and won the gold medal.

“When I was recruiting him, his height and physicality stood out the most to me,” Pujol said. “He is very mobile, active and can move well for his size. The college level is a big adjustment, and he will develop with time. He is very anxious to get here and can’t wait to play.”

Grant, who will be going into his second season as head coach, has been busy with recruiting since he has been in Tuscaloosa. This addition to his team will hopefully help the Tide’s inside game, though Engstrom has only been playing basketball for about a year and half.

“Engstrom is a good guy and a lot of fun to be around,” said freshman point guard Trevor Releford. “His size is a big advantage, and we can’t wait to see how he will benefit our team during the season. He had the chance to meet everyone on the team, and I think he is a great addition.”