Interfaith discourse is vital to student relations

A few weeks ago, I attended an interfaith discussion and panel titled “Speed Faithing.” The setup of this event consisted of different tables. Participants were divided into randomly selected groups and in a speed-dating type fashion, shuffled from table to table.

We were not there to look for a new religion, but simply expanding our knowledge on the many religions held by UA students. Each religion had a representative, either a UA student to local church/religious leader who gave a short overview of the religion, it’s history and some general practices. The remainder of the time was allotted for students to ask questions.

The types of questions asked were deep and thoughtful but, most importantly, respectful. I was thrilled to witness students of all religious practices come together to learn more about 
one another.

I realized while sitting amongst these diversely-minded students, the value of an event like this and the impact that could be made on campus from these important events. We need more events like this to increase awareness, dialogue and even knowledge about the many religions represented at the University and in our world. I believe interfaith events, such as the one I attended, provide immense opportunity for students to meet people who they may have never had the chance to meet and test what they believe to be true.

For me, I grew up around only Christianity. The only exposure I got to other religions was through television and through the rise of technology and the internet. Coming to the University was one of the first times in my life where I was able to interact with so many people who were publicly open with their opinions. This is something I believe the University does well: The University brings students from a variety of backgrounds, religions and beliefs onto one campus.

Students need to be willing to take advantage of this opportunity. We may never again get a chance to interact deeply with someone who has a religion or to really immerse ourselves in the cultures associated with 
those religions.

We are lucky to go to a school where these important interactions among religious lines are available. While there are still issues, we 
cannot help but be grateful that we can respectfully attend an interfaith event together and ask probing questions without fear of offending someone or retaliation.

The Ferg is designating a quiet prayer room that will allow for students who wish to pray or receive some peaceful time, to do so in a quiet room. Steps like this will push our campus in the right direction and create an air of inclusion.

It is important for the University to provide a welcoming, safe environment for students to feel comfortable practicing their individual religions. With this amount of diversity, there are bound to be instances of intolerance or close-mindedness. We need to stop pushing other religions and its followers away or designating them as outsiders. Even if we do not agree with someone’s beliefs, that should not give us the right to ostracize, disenfranchise or exclude them from the UA community as a whole.

Every UA student should attend interfaith discourse like the one I did two weeks ago to test your beliefs, ideas and opinions, and I would even say to test your own religion.

Vel Lewis is a junior majoring in 
public relations and political science . 
Her column runs bi-weekly.