Gameday buttons get creative

Gameday buttons get creative

Celia Rudd, a Creative Campus intern and sophomore majoring in English, said the Creative Process team has been brainstorming for months on effective ways to infiltrate the University’s 
football culture.

“We ran through a number of ideas, and only recently decided buttons would provide a widespread but personal collaboration between witty artistic references and the game day experience,” 
she said.

Nine different button designs are available for free, with references including astronomer Tycho Brahe, actress Lucille Ball, jazz musician Miles Davis and American writer Henry David Thoreau. A couple of the puns feature Vincent Van Gogh and Johann Sebastian Bach, reading “Gogh Team, Gogh” and “Tide’s got your Bach.”

Joey Weed, a junior majoring in math and a Creative Campus intern, said the buttons serve as a way to showcase the depth and identity of the campus by showing the humor and intellect of the University on game days.

“Creative Campus enhances the culture around the University of Alabama through a variety of projects,” he said. “This button campaign adds another interesting color to the masterpiece that is the Tuscaloosa game day experience.”

Dana Sweeney, another Creative Campus intern, designed most of the buttons, while Annelise Moreau designed the elephant silhouette featured in all of the buttons.

Students who are interested in acquiring a button can stop outside Maxwell Hall, across from Bruno Library before the Mississippi State game from noon to 1 p.m. Saturday.

Everyone is encouraged to check the hashtag #BamaButton on Twitter at the game this weekend to see the different designs and people wearing them.