Terrorism should not impede on daily lives

The recent events in Paris have sparked inspiring actions throughout the world, especially in Paris, to defend what we consider one of our basic freedoms: the freedom of speech. However, one of the most alarming truths of the Charlie Hebdo attack is that the world is now seeing terrorists attack specific businesses and other entities, rather than nations, and we are in danger of letting the terrorists win.

Last year, the Guardians of Peace, a group with suspected ties to North Korea, hacked into Sony’s network and leaked passwords and employee information before the release of “The Interview.” The group ultimately threatened terrorist attacks against theaters that showed the film. Sony caved from the pressure of Guardians of Peace and only showed the movie after pressure came from President Obama.

In a December 2014 press conference, President Obama said, “I would have told them [Sony]: Do not get into the pattern in which you are intimidated.” As Americans, we cannot let dictators and terrorist organizations threaten us or our businesses, nor can we let them dictate our decisions. The world is changing, and with it, so are our enemies. No longer are our enemies always nations. Unfortunately, they are increasingly becoming terrorist organizations who are controlling us.

The Department of Homeland Security’s Budget for 2015 is $60.9 billion. Keep in mind, the Department of Homeland Security was created in 2001, partly in response to the Sept. 11 attacks.The FBI’s annual budget is $8.1 billion. Finally, in 2010 the Department of Defense’s Budget was $575 billion, with $80.1 billion being allocated to defense intelligence. That is a grand total of $644 billion, with a large amount spent on anti-terrorist activities. Considering these numbers, plus the obvious and justifiable fear Americans have for terrorist organizations such as the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant, terrorists are having a huge impact on us.

We now live in an era in which we are forced to defend ourselves from such threats. These threats are strikingly different from those previous generations have had to fight. The rules of warfare are changing. Still, we must not let our daily lives be controlled by such dastardly organizations. Yes, it is imperative we take necessary precautions in defending ourselves, like the measures taken by the TSA at airports. Even that has become quite controversial and annoyingly time consuming. Unfortunately, we are forced to choose between privacy and security.

When threats from terrorist groups and dictators like Kim Jong-un begin to encroach upon and interrupt our daily lives, we must continue to live our lives to the fullest and not let them win. That is why it is so important that publications like Charlie Hebdo continue to print. In some ways, the most important way to not let terror reign is by continuing our daily lives, even if it means putting our lives at risk. It is the responsibility of all Americans to protect the liberties that so many of our predecessors fought and died to protect.

John David Thompson is a sophomore majoring in political science. His column runs biweekly.