UA offers benefits, employment to veterans

layton dudley

The University of Alabama strives to provide active duty and retired servicemembers with easy access to all of the benefits endowed by both the state and federal governments, as well as a host of other 
tailored accommodations.

Interested servicemembers’ first point of contact is the Tuscaloosa branch of the Alabama Department of Veteran Affairs. There, individuals can receive help filing for any benefits to which they are entitled. Eric Ervin, Veterans Service Officer at the VA, encourages interested parties to “call or come by the office, no 
appointments necessary.”

The UA Veteran and Military Affairs office, a division of the Division of Student Affairs, provides current and ex-military students with career services, transition assistance and housing options in addition to its prolific outreach and 
certification programs.

The University also accepts supplemental credit, from CLEP tests to vocational training received during service.

“Any dealings with the 
government are going to be tough to do, but UA has been pretty great,” said RJ Thompson, lance corporal in the U.S. Marine Corps Reserves and current UA student majoring in criminal justice. “They’re taking the hours I earned at Marine Engineering school and transferring them, so I am not hindered by my work.”

In work, too, Alabama employs many servicemembers, recognizing the value of the skills and discipline instilled during service.

“The Army has been the reason why I have gotten great jobs since I got out,” said Patrick Greenwood, former E4 specialist in the Army and current IT technician IV for the College of Commerce. “I’ve always had a love for electronics, but no formal degrees or certifications.”

However, during his service, Greenwood worked as a radio communication security repairer and IT 
specialist, gaining more-than-ample skills to tackle any number of IT/AV positions.

The transition back to civilian and student life presents its own slew of social, financial and psychological difficulties. The University of Alabama manifold programs offer recognition of these issues and a helping hand.