UA student heads to New York for texting competition

A UA student won the chance to turn texting into a $100,000 cash prize when she advanced to the final round in the LG National Texting Championship that includes 32 finalists.

Catherine Reinagel, a junior majoring in nutrition and food science, entered the contest after texting a message to a number that appeared on the screen during an episode of “The Hills.”

“I was just watching television, because I wasn’t ready to do my homework when I sent the text message,” she said. “I really didn’t think anything would become of it.”

By being one of the fastest to send a message, Reinagel won the chance to win a $100,000 prize and $50,000 donated to the charity of her choice.

The contest also includes an all-expenses-paid trip to New York to compete in the contest.

“I saw the message that said to text this message to this number and then a week later I got a phone call saying that I was chosen to participate in the finals,” she said.

Last year, a 15-year-old from Iowa won the competition. The competition was arranged with a series of tasks you had to complete that eliminated the finalists with every round.

The first task, as listed on the website highlighting last year’s competition, showcased the finalists all using the same LG phone with a keyboard and whoever typed the message the fastest went on to the next round.

Another task was to decode a message that was filled with text message abbreviations such as “LOL” (laugh out loud) and “TTYL” (talk to you later).

If she wins, $50,000 will be donated to the Laps for Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. Reinagel chose the charity because they raise money for cystic fibrosis research.

“I don’t personally know anyone that has been affected by the disease, but being a former member of UA’s swimming and diving team, I saw the little kids come and swim a lap for cystic fibrosis,” she said.

Reinagel knew that the money would make a huge impact on the organization because they aren’t very well known on the national level.

Reinagel chose her friend Lindsay Shepard to accompany her on the trip to New York.  Shepard is confident that Reinagel will win the competition, and is looking forward to the experience.

“I am so beyond excited to go to New York,” she said. “It is one of my absolute favorite places to go and getting to go with one of my best friends will be so much fun.

“From what I’ve seen, she is very fast when it comes to texting, which is why I know she is going to win,” she said.

Reinagel said she would pay for school, buy a new car and save the rest of her prize if she wins the contest.

“Considering I have about two years left of school, after I pay for that I should have enough to save to use after college,” she said.

Reinagel is the only finalist in the competition from the South.