UA to host study abroad fair

UA is set to host a study abroad fair from 10 a.m. to 3p.m. on campus at the Crimson Promenade just outside of the Ferguson Student Center.

The University’s study abroad program is designed to help students progress in their worldly and cultural knowledge.

Chad Berry, assistant director for education abroad, said the study abroad fair is one of the biggest events of the year that affiliates associated with the program attend.

“Some popular countries students choose to go to are Italy, England and Spain,” Berry said.

According to Berry, Students are encouraged to meet with a study abroad advisor to help assess which country and program would best fit their academic career. However, a student is not limited that suggested program.

Berry also stated that studying abroad stands out on a student’s resume and can help boost the potential for employment after graduation. Students are also able to use their scholarships, financial aid and G.I. Bill to fund their study abroad semester.

Madison Lester, a senior, studied abroad in Florence, Italy this past spring.

“I traveled to a new city or country almost every weekend and met amazing people along the way,” Lester said. “Studying abroad has also helped me become a more informed global citizen.”

Lester used her UA scholarship she received freshmen year to help fund her experience.

“I would definitely encourage students to go abroad,” Lester said. “I had the amazing experience of spending 4 months immersing myself into a different culture, meeting people from all over the world, traveling to new places and making friends and memories that will last a lifetime. Studying abroad has helped me grow because it helps you learn more about yourself. While abroad, you must handle new problems and challenges unlike any you’ve experienced before, which helps you discover new strengths and abilities.”

The deadline for spring applications is October 15.

For more information on how to get involved, visit http://studyabroad.ua.edu/.