Volleyball goes 1-2 in final preseason tournament

The Alabama volleyball team had its last preseason tournament this weekend at the Huskie Invitational in Dekalb, Illinois. It went 1-2.

On Friday, the Crimson Tide lost to Western Kentucky, 3-0, for its opening match. There was a lot of back and worth in who held the lead, but the Hilltoppers pulled through at the end when it mattered. This marked the first time the Crimson Tide fell in three sets.

Sophomore Kat Hutson led the team with 11 kills, two aces serving and two digs. Junior Krystal Rivers was right behind Hutson with 10 kills and one dig. As Alabama’s setter, Sierra Wilson had 30 assists and four digs. At libero, sophomore Natalie Murison had 11 digs.

Later Friday, Alabama defeated Northern Illinois, 3-1, reaching a season-high 0.304 attack percentage.

Freshman Tabitha Brown led the offense this time around with 17 kills and 0.424 attack percentage. Junior Brittany Thomas had 14 kills, followed by Hutson with 13 and Rivers with 12. Wilson had 53 assists and Murison had 11 digs again.

For its last match of the tournament, Alabama lost, 3-1, against Northern Iowa. Alabama won the second set and during the fourth was at the set point, but let UNI catch up and claim the set and the overall victory.

Hutson led the team, once again, with 20 kills, followed by Thomas with 14 and Rivers with 13. Wilson had 56 assists and Murison had 21 digs – both their highs over the course of the weekend.

Alabama will start its SEC conference play against Mississippi State on Wednesday in Foster Auditorium at 7 p.m.