Alabama soccer falls to Ole Miss 3-2

Following last weekend’s loss on the football field, the Alabama soccer team couldn’t find redemption on the soccer field against the Ole Miss Rebels, losing 3-2 in Oxford.

Coming off a season-high 38 shots, including 12 on goal in its 2-0 victory against Jacksonville State, the Crimson Tide once again dominated the offensive attack at the start of the game against the Rebels.

In the 24th minute, freshman forward Christina Martensson scored her first collegiate goal with a header into the right side of the net off an assist by Celia Jimenez, and gave the Crimson Tide a 1-0 lead. Off an Ole Miss foul at the 42 minute mark, forward Lacey Clarida would score her second goal of the season off a penalty kick to give the team a 2-0 lead going into halftime. The Crimson Tide outshot the Rebels in the first half with nine shots to five.

The Rebels took over the Alabama’s offensive attack to start the second half. Seventeen seconds into the half, Bethany Bunker found Addie Forbus for a goal that spilled past Alabama’s goalkeeper Emily Rusk on the right side from eight yards.

Ten minutes later, Ole Miss would even the score with a header Liza Harbin off a corner kick from Gretchen Harknett. The Rebels take a 3-2 lead in the 63rd minute with a goal from 18 yards out by CeCe Kizer, assisted by Harknett and Bunker.

The Crimson Tide finished the game with six more shot attempts and two on goal by Lacey Clarida. Clarida finished the game with three shots, three on goal, and one goal in the first half. The Rebels has won nine consecutive head-to-head meetings in Oxford and five straight victories against the Crimson Tide.

This Sunday, the Crimson Tide will travel to Columbia to face the South Carolina Gamecocks. The Gamecocks own the all-time advantage 12-4-1 with last season’s meeting ending in a double-overtime draw in Tuscaloosa. Opening kick begins at 5 p.m.