Clarifying support for smoking ban on campus

On Aug. 21, The Crimson White published an article by Andy McWhorter titled “University considers smoking ban; other Alabama schools lead the way.” In it, there was a statement that “the Faculty Senate, the SGA, the Professional Staff Assembly and other groups are currently evaluating whether they should recommend that the entire campus be smoke- and tobacco-free.”

I would like to correct that misunderstanding. The Faculty Senate, the Professional Staff Assembly, the Office, Clerical and Technical Staff Assembly, representing their constituents, passed resolutions in 2012 calling for The University of Alabama to become a smoke-free campus. In addition, the Tobacco Strategic Health Team, coordinated through the UA Department of Heath Promotion & Wellness, has recommended that the University move to become a smoke-free campus. That team has been working since 2005 on this initiative.

In 2012, the Association of Residential Communities, the voice of students living on campus, passed a resolution in support of a smoke-free campus. The Student Government Association conducted a 2013 survey last year that leans toward a smoke-free campus. Zac McMillian, an undergraduate student working closely with Truman Scholar and former SGA Senator Ryan Flamerich, surveyed the student body in 2012, the results of which pointed strongly toward a smoke-free campus.

These University of Alabama organizations and individuals represent those who care a great deal about the well-being of staff, faculty and students and have spoken clearly about the desire for a clean and healthy smoke-free campus.

Steve Miller is the president of the Faculty Senate.